Author Topic: 76ers v Grizz  (Read 3300 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
76ers v Grizz
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
Will be watching after work on my DVR.

Interested to see the matc-up against Mayo.  The Sixers have a lot of defenders to throw at him.

Want to see a game where the starters and bench both play well.  Last game only Thad and Speights could shoot, although Iguodala had his typical excellent floor game.

My only worry is foul trouble for Thad and Speights limitting their effectiveness.

Also looking for a breakout game for Lou with Lowry out.  Hope he is meeting with Price over the All Star break.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 76ers v Grizz
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
A team the Sixers should beat like a drum.  They are playing over .750 ball since the start of their 7 game win streak. (reasonable since it took some time for Dileo to have the team play ball the way he wanted, as opposed to what ever it was that Mo was trying to have them do).

That is an elite team's winning percentage and there is no team for the rest of Feb. with the exception of Orlando that should be able to stay on the floor with them.  No reason for the Sixers to overlook them. Like all the teams, they will now have an extended time off for the all-star break.

Biggest concern is that they develop their young players and prepare for the playoffs.  It is important to see them learn how to close teams out and take control over games quickly.  They have to do this against the lousy teams so they can have the confidence and experience for when they play teams that are closer to them in terms of talent.  Can't wait to see the next games against the better teams. The Cleveland's, LA's and Bostons of the league.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
"Defensive struggle"

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »
Well, good teams need to know how to win ugly.  Iguodala stepped up down the stretch after a quiet game for the first 3.5 quarters.  When was the last time we were 3 games above .500?  I'd like to know. 

To spread some icing on the cake, I picked up Warrick off waivers in my fantasy league last week   8)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
Certainly not their best game, but some huge defensive plays down the stretch.  Iguodala with huge plays down the stretch on both ends.  Dalembert playing huge D, especially the block on Warrick.  The Grizz have been playing some good ball lately and didn't lay down, but the Sixers found a way to pull it out.  I'll chalk it up as a good win.

And we were 3-0 to start the 06-07 season.  That was the last time.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »

And we were 3-0 to start the 06-07 season.  That was the last time.

Good stuff Ducky.  Us Sixer fans have served our time. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
Disappointing, but a win nonetheless. What I wanted was a clear domination, not a tight game with an inferior team.  Sixers were handicapped a bit by foul trouble, but Memphis deserves credit for it's offensive rebounding and general hustle for balls. More of a concern is that they didn't exactly perform like offensive juggernauts in the half court. They could only get a lead when they were able to run. Once Memphis slowed the game down, the Sixers ended up in a close game. The biggest play was a one on one move by Iguodala.

Andre was the big star, making 8 points at the end to keep the Sixers in it. He had 18 for the game, and Andre Miller had a fantastic game, scoring 24, 9 assists and 2 steals.  When it looked lke the Sixers were in trouble and the game was in doubt,  Iguodala took control and made the shots and forced the turnovers or misses on the other end. This is a major step forward for him in his career. He's learning to thrive under pressure.

Now they can have a much deserved rest, except for Young who has to play in the rookie/sophmore game.  Next game is on the road in Indiana.  Important to keep the winning streak going now, with the losses by the teams in front of them, the Sixers are now in 5th place, tied with Detroit and Miami. I fully expect them to catch Atlanta and pass them as well, gaining home court in the first round. Orlando is still very far ahead, but they are slipping, now only 5-5 in their last 10.  The loss of Jameer may be a significant blow.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »
Funny - I was at the game tonight, and - other than the block on Warrick late - I thought Sammy sucked ass on D.  He was outrebounded by Greg Buckner.  He was outrebounded by freaking MIKE CONLEY.  He also lost his cool after a stupid foul and got T'd up.

Thad was BENT OVER by Warrick...and when Hakim was done with him, he had Speights for seconds.  And it's not like Warrick is LeBron.

Other than Miller in the first half and Iggy late, the ONLY redeeming thing about tonight was the "W".

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »
-You are right about Sam.  His defense on the pick and roll is just horrible.  He manages to both leave his man and yet not turn back his defender at the same time.  his poor pick and roll D lead to a ton of drives, O-Boards and fouls picked up by others.

-Overall, bailed out by Miller and late game "Big Balls" Iguodala, but they played about as bad as possible in a win.

-Its counter intuitive, but at PF Thad struggles more agaist smaller/quicker guys like Warrick and Jamison.

-Lou has really struggled for a LONG time.  Only short bursts of playing well going all the way back to when he broke his toe against Lee.  Maybe he just isn't that good and I expect too much from him.  It seems like he never gets in free for layups anymore...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »
tk:

To be fair, the Grizz have some talent.  I thought Conley did a decent job tonight - I think his dribble penetration was what helped to lead to the help rotations and defenders out of place that caused us to get our ass kicked on the boards.  A lineup of Conley/Mayo/Gay/Warrick/Gasol has some potential - they need a banger at the 4 (that ain't Darko), which makes Warrick a good 6th man.  I also though that Ross did a nice job of frustrating Iguodala for big chunks of the game...he was very physical with him, and it clearly bothered Iggy.  Thank goodness he got his shit together larte.

I think Lou has had some good games this season...but lately it seems like he has fallen back into the same habits that he had in the past...it's one of the first things you learn - when your shot is not falling, take the ball to the rack...get some easy shots...get to the line...I was surprised how little he has been doing that lately.  If he has the Lee thing in the back of his mind still...that's a problem.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
Agree with all of your points above.. I've jst been focussing in on how their bigs play the pick and roll, and only Evans and Brand seem to know how to turn back the ball handler.

Also, on the replays its was painful to watch no one even try and box out Warrick- altough those put backs where pretty impressive.  He is Thad without the skill or scorers mentality.  Great athlete.