Author Topic: 76ers/Bucks 12/17  (Read 4930 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 76ers/Bucks 12/17
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
I didn't start watching until near the end of the third quarter, and I didn't like seeing Sam Dalembert and Thad Young being the two bigs.  Still, Speights did get his chance at the end of the game and came up with a great performance.

A dislocated shoulder, could be minor enough that Brand could be back in a week.  Short-term it provides more minutes and more opportunities for some players, but the whole point was to get Brand going in a half-court game so the Sixers could be competitive in the playoffs.

The one good thing about Brand's shoulder is that Speights should see extra minutes, and Dileo will realize that Mareese is their best post up player.  Even when Brand comes back, Speights should be the one to get the ball at the end. He seems to manage to draw fouls and is able to convert at the line, as well as score and rebound.

Anyone still have a great desire to trade for Michael Redd?

Sixers should be fine with their rebounding even without Brand. Last season with Dalembert and Evans on the front line the Sixers were a strong rebounding team.  The addition of Speights can only help.

My concern is still with the offense, I've yet to see a night where all the players were hot, or at least able to shoot. One night Iguodala can't buy a bucket, the next night Thad Young can't shoot, or Willie Green keeps missing.  It has been my contentention that a lot of those missed shots were shots out of rhythm, because of the way they played. They are looking a bit more fluid, but that's more likely the Bucks defense.

Boston is the real test as they are the best defensive team in the league, even with Brand the Sixers would have a very tough time, without him it seems impossible, unless they can get firing on all cylinders.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 11:23:23 PM »
Did anybody notice sam trying to set a screen for Brand WHEN HE WAS POSTING UP?

Fought with his teammates over two uncontested defensive rebounds tonight.

I love Sam.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »
I liked how the defense rotated out of double teams to guard the three.  Still, pretty lucky the Bucks were ice cold at only 2-15 from 3.  Had the Bucks hit some threes they probably would have jumped out to a much bigger lead.  Of course on the flip side the Sixers missed all those FT's.

As for dislocated shoulders- just like ts was said already- it depends on what type (ant r post) and if there is a fx and the condition of the joint capsule.  if you want more detail...

There are some people with loose shoulders who dislocate easily(Think Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.)  In that case there is no injury and you can come back quickly.

My read is that Brand's injury is worse, but not horrible.  He did not have a posterior dislocation which is a bad injury with a scapula fx (think of Dawkins helacious hit on Ike Hilliard a few years back.)

I would not be surprised if Brand has a fracture of his clavicle or acromion or at very least a weakened anterior capsule.  That could mean a season ending injury, but it should be something you can eventually fully recover.  In fact the injury at first glance looked more like an AC jt disruption as opposed to a shoulder dislocation.

Its especially a big issue for a big.  You bang a lot with your shoulder, so you need to be fully recover to be able to return.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:07:48 AM by tk76- »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »
FYI- Dwayne wade, Anderson Varejao and Larry Hughes are some examples of NBA players who have rehabbed from dislocated shoulders.

Varajao dislocated his R shoulder Sep 5th 2005.  he missed the first 32 games of that season...

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »
Great catch, dabods...Sammy setting that screen for Brand's post-up...

Ha.

Play Speights...a LOT.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 01:10:48 AM »
You'd hafta think Speights becomes the starting PF, right? I mean it's either that, start Thad (a possibility), or Evans (shoot me now).