Author Topic: 12/13 DiLeo's Team vs. the Wiz  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
12/13 DiLeo's Team vs. the Wiz
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
I am leaving to hit the turnpike down to the first game of the post-Mo era.  Mo, we weill always love you and good luck wherever you go.  I will check back in after midnight.  Go Tony D.

jemagee

Re: 12/13 DiLeo's Team vs. the Wiz
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »
Yahoo was wrong - WIllie still starting - thad not - sigh
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:42:08 PM by jemagee »

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
Trying to be calm and not too enthused as it's just the wizards :)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »
The only thing I'm taking from this game is that DiLeo actually looks like he understands the meaning of "substitution pattern".

Btw, can he officially be nicknamed "the unamused Tony DiLeo"?  I mean, unlike Mo Cheeks, who always looked ambivalent, DiLeo has looked legitimately unhappy the entire game.  It's pretty remarkable.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »
Did he tell andre miller to stop shooting so much and pass more or is it just cause it's the wizards?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »
Still getting the defense line shoved down our throats, but...

He believes in a strict 9 man rotation! Happy days!

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
It's been way too long since we've had a coach who believes in set rotations.  Thank god.

I noticed we ran Lou off some screens for catch and shoot situations and he delivered.  We also did a much better job of moving without the ball when the ball was in Brand's hands. 

Tony D says he wants to see Miller as more of a facilitator than a scorer.... great to hear. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:34:54 PM »
 It's only the Wizards, but the way from what little I saw the Sixers were playing a normal offense! If Tony can figure out that Speights should be his post-scorer, the team could play strong half-court basketball.

I like Andre having 12 assists and 8 pts. much better for the rest of the team, most nights. The Sixers shot over 50% for the game, that's an extraordinary jump from their season average. 

Tony has 9 days to get the team together before they play an elite team: Boston. With Milwaukee, Washington and Indiana coming up, the team will have some time to practice their plays so they work smoothly and with some precision.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 10:41:53 PM »
So after one game the bucks, wizards and pacaers are just tune up games huh?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:14 AM »
Just got back from the game, obviously the Wiz are pretty toothless so it was not a huge test other than being the back end of a back-to-back.  Not really time for DiLeo to make many changes, but the treatment of Brand was very different.  They ried the pick and pop early, but to little avail because the big man would not follow Miller's penetration and stayed on Brand.  On post-ups they are clearing out Brand's side of the floor completely except for the guy feeding him the ball, essentially playing a two man game, with the remaining players well spread out.  It produced a lot of open outside shots, but they were either missed or declined by the shooter.  Later in the game more guys started cutting from the weakside with Brand in the post which made for some easy baskets.  Brand looked a little shaky on his jumper early, but really got it going later.  Brand is very good at receiving the ball as a cutter himself and getting the basket or drawing contact.

More significant playing time for Thad and Speights.  Speights may have the most feathery touch I have ever seen on a big man.  Thad looks in between on a lot of plays, either under or over aggressive.  He has a terrific burst of quickness going to the rim, but he needs to figure out when to use it.  He and Speights also need to grow into their bodies a little more to really be consistently effective.

Williams is still the only guy who can consistently get his own shot, although Thad definitely has the potential.  Leave Thad on the second team for now if only because Lou will pass to him, while Miller basically ignores him.  As long as he is getting his minutes I don't care for now.  WG is essentially a place holder starter.  DiLeo seemed to be testing different floor combinations today.  Brand, Thad, Iggy, Lou and Miller seemed to be the most dominant grouping from a quality of play standpoint.

The offense looked pretty simple, with a good bit more passing and ball reversal.  I like the way Thad looks in the post and he passes to cutter very well.  The game would not have been as close as it was except the Sixers missed a lot of tip-ins.  The game also got kind of chippy at times, with Blatche amd Dixon playing very physical.  After a few hard fouls by Blatche, Reggie suddenly appeared in the game and it looked like he had a mission to push back a little, plus he had some nice energy minutes.

Miller still can't guard anyone and Lou still sticks to screens like they are flypaper.  Some nice defense by Green, Brand and Iggy, with Sammy controlling the boards, although he had a lot of help from Brand who really knows how to block out solidly allowing Sammy to go get the ball.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:05:33 AM »
Good analysis, Skates.

It is amazing what a thoughtful substitution rotation can do - huh?  I liked virtually everything that everybody did out there...Miller was a pass-first PG...Sammy really went after the defensive rebound...Green with quality minutes again (yawn)...Thad making my jaw drop 2-3 times...Iguodala letting the game come to him and doing a little bit of everything...I've never appreciated the combination that Brand possesses - the widebody to get space and the wingspan to make that shot unblockable...Lou showing his athleticism (and some nice dimes as well)...Speights with that jumper that you think is just outside his range - only to realize that it is within his range....

Somebody asked DeLeo before the game if he remembered the last game he coached...after saying that it was a long time ago, he said that he coached against Mike D'Antoni (who was a player/coach)...beat him by 27 in the European Cup finals...

Sweet.

Could DeLeo actually be good?

All I know is that - Wizards or not - I liked who played, when they played and the way they played together.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 02:15:30 AM »
The one thing that stood out to me in the rotation pattern that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that in both halves, there was a span of about 3-4 minutes in which Thad was running at PF.  It didn't necessarily work any better or worse than anything else, but if DiLeo wants to shorten it down to mainly 3 big men getting all the C/PF minutes, that leave a few extra minutes for other guys to grab, and it's nice to see them not all going to Evans.

Also, that slam by Thad was flat out sick.  I don't know how he even got the ball in the basket.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:16:48 AM »
All I took from this one was confirmation that the players had all been in a huge funk and collectively a big head case.

Now they got a wake up call, and all were completely zoned in knowing there was a fresh pair of eyes were on them- and their minutes or even positions on the team could be on the line.  These guys may have guaranteed contracts but no one wants their minutes cut or to be traded.

We'll have to see if they regress as the newness wears off.  Tonight was like the finals for them, while the Wiz were barely even going through the motions.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
Thad was looking to make a drop off pass pn that dunk.  At the last minute someone rotated adn it looked like Thad thought, "Hell, I'll just keep rising in the air and dunk the damn thing then", it was pretty awesome.  The funny thing about this team is that our two best jump shooters (except when WG gets in a zone) are the big men in Brand and Speights, throw in Jason Smith and that would make three of them.  None, except maybe Smith, with three point range, but very good out to 18 feet for all of them.  Our best pure scorer is a reserve in Williams, at lest until Thad puts it all together.

As I was driving home last night I was thinking about how this team has always had a big man coach and one or more PG oriented coaches, do they have a quality scoring swing man to teach guys like Thad and Iggy the finer points of those positions?  It really seems like it would help a lot to have them coached by a guy who was a quality scorer at Sf or SF/SG.