Author Topic: 12/12 Sixers vs. Cavs  (Read 5785 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
12/12 Sixers vs. Cavs
« on: December 12, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »
It sucks knowing your the inferior team going into a game.  Perhaps one loss closer to a coaching change? 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12/12 Sixers vs. Cavs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
A bad loss tonight...followed by an embarrasing home loss to the 4-16 Wiz (in from of, oh, say 8,000 fans) should be all that is necessary to make a change.

I'm a "glass-half-full" guy...but that is what I am hoping for.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
Nah, Brand is going to drop 50.

TO's

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
No, we'll lose tonight and win tomorrow to drag things on a little more.  I'll be there tomorrow night and I am 1-0 so far this season.  Sure it helps that the first game I saw was OKC, but the Wiz might be even more lifeless than the Thunder.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
The team was closer to winning than it appeared. They had three players put up more than 20 points, and Iguodala had his best game of the season.  Brand was injured and not able to put up his average points- if he had, the Sixers would have won.  Thad Young also had a terrible game as did Willie Green. 

We needed one more player to shoot well for the Sixers to be able to stay with the Cavs. This, in spite of Cheeks being a complete idiot and not giving Mareese Speights enough floor time to make a real difference.  Mind you, this was a game where the Cavs outrebounded the Sixers because Cheeks did not match height, and allowed Cleveland to have a taller team, by keeping his bigs on the bench.

Basketball is not rocket science. It's a pretty simple game, and the teams that win do a better job of putting the ball in the basket and keeping it away from the other team.  I don't think anyone would say the Sixers don't have enough talent to win, it's a matter of the way they're playing, which goes to the way their being coached.

Others say that Cheeks has played, everyone and they haven't come through.  I would say he hasn't put the right combination of players out on the floor.  You need someone to distribute the ball, three players to control the boards, one player who can post up inside, one who can shoot from midrange, one who can shoot from long range, and one to two players who can break down the defense creating their own shot. And their collective talent level has to be better than that of their opponents.  Of course they also have to play defense, since it is hard to score, it is very beneficial to your team to stop the other team from scoring.

I think Phila. has enough players that if the right ones were put on the floor the team would be winning more, and be much further along in their development.  Cheeks has to go.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »
The team was closer to winning than it appeared. They had three players put up more than 20 points, and Iguodala had his best game of the season.  Brand was injured and not able to put up his average points- if he had, the Sixers would have won.  Thad Young also had a terrible game as did Willie Green. 

I disagree - they were hot shooting in the first half went cold in the third quarter while the cavs got better - the issues in the first half were the issues in the second half - the sixers (Per usual) had a hot start that faded away as the game progressed.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »
2 guys carrying the team for 1/2 and then giving up a 15 pt run to start the 2nd half isn't that close.

These late combacks to make the scoreboard look respectable don't mean anything either.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
These late combacks to make the scoreboard look respectable don't mean anything either.

To some people they do

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
Willie Green starting again

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
The Sixers got outscored in the third quarter because they didn't do anything right. They didn't get turnovers or limit the Cavs to one shot.  No running means no easy baskets.

Iguodala and Williams make their points running the floor first and breaking down other players second.  The players responsible for scoring in the half -court didn't make shots or even work to get the ball to the right player.

When another team is hot, all you can do is try to keep pace with them.  The Sixers couldn't trade baskets because they couldn't score in the half-court, pure and simple.

This team can't win against good teams until it learns how to execute successfully in the half-court game. If the Sixers put up the numbers they ought to, they should win plenty of games. Watch their offense and tell me if you see any plays being run or any smart passes against a set defense.

Since Ilgauskas is out tonight, the Sixers will have a better chance of controlling the boards and scoring inside. The smart play is to put the ball into the hands of the big men and go inside.  I would put Speights in and post him up all night. Cheeks will probably try to play small ball and run, but if Cleveland can keep the ball and score that strategy has no shot.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
The Sixers got outscored in the third quarter because they didn't do anything right. They didn't get turnovers or limit the Cavs to one shot.  No running means no easy baskets.

They got outplayed in the first half as well mostly they just shot well above their normal FG% (49% in the first half, 40% by the end of the 3rd quarter FOR THE GAME)...the game was not as close as it looked as the sixers played above their heads for one half - but regressed to the mean in the third quarter.

Since Ilgauskas is out tonight, the Sixers will have a better chance of controlling the boards and scoring inside

This is offset by starting Sam Dalembert and his inherent stupidity

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
I wonder - is there anywhere i can get 'quarter by quarter' win breakdowns - cause it seems to me like the sixers start out and win a LOT of first quarters and then for some reason just can't maintain

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »

They got outplayed in the first half as well mostly they just shot well above their normal FG% (49% in the first half, 40% by the end of the 3rd quarter FOR THE GAME)...the game was not as close as it looked as the sixers played above their heads for one half - but regressed to the mean in the third quarter.

Since Ilgauskas is out tonight, the Sixers will have a better chance of controlling the boards and scoring inside

This is offset by starting Sam Dalembert and his inherent stupidity

The difference is that the Sixers were able to run in the first half which produces a high shooting pct.  When the Cavs started scoring it shut down the Sixers running game. Tonight the Sixers got on a roll early beacuse they weer controlling the boards and limiting Cleavland to one shot. The only big man they have on the floor is Brand. No shot blocker, no solid rebounding. Ahh, finally Dalembert comes back in the game.  With 4 min. left in the half. No pt for Speights again so far.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
When the Cavs started scoring it shut down the Sixers running game.

The Cavs shot 52% in the first half - so they were scoring then as well...

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Is anyone else starting to worry that brand isn't 100% recovered from the initial surgery?