Author Topic: 12/10 Sixers vs. Cavaliers  (Read 7927 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
12/10 Sixers vs. Cavaliers
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »
The Sixers aren't ready to beat the Cavaliers, but that doesn't mean they won't.  Cleveland has been on a real tear lately playing at a level equivalent to what the Bulls did in their best season.  The Sixers still haven't found their identity.  They know what they want to do, but aren't working to make it happen, and their still confused about when to go into their half-court mode.

There should be no confusion, you try to run every chance you get, and the rest of the time you try to find the weakness in your opponents defense and take advantage of it.  In truth the Sixers have everything they need to be successful, in the half-court now.  It's time to see Marshall on the floor with Brand and Iguodala and see how the offense functions with a three-point shooter, a high post player and a slasher.

But they should still run every chance they get and Cheeks should make sure that all the bases are covered with who he puts on the floor.  Defensive pressure and rebounding are the Sixers strengths from last season.  Adding the half-court offense is what this year is about, but it shouldn't take a front seat to PLAYING THE RIGHT WAY!

The Sixers could use a little bit of Larry Brown right now.  Cheeks limitations are pretty apparent.

jemagee

Re: 12/10 Sixers vs. Cavaliers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:48:29 PM »
Oh dear fracking Christ

can people stop pining for the days of Larry Brown - the Larry Brown era as a quality basketball coach is over - let him try (and fail) to redeem himself in CHarlotte already...the game has passed this megalomaniac by - let him ruin some other franchise....

As for this game - the sixers should lose by 15 or the cavs should be ashamed

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
Willie Green started?

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:15:32 PM »
Green, eh?  For match-ups?  (I'm in JEM's neck o' the woods and not seeing the game.  I'll assume Miller will have a good game vs. the Cavs.  Interested in Iggy, too.)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
Sixers started to look good during parts of the first half. Back to their old ways of forcing turnovers and running off of missed shots.

They still cannot function in a half court offense because Miller sucks. He is an offensive player, but he is not a good passer, which hurts Brand.  I saw Igoudala try to run one pick and roll with Brand, which resulted in Iggy throwing it out of bounds.  Still, at least he tried and with practice he should get better with it.  The rest of his game has been phenomenal 21 pts. 3 bds. 2 asst. not bad for a first half!

Still haven't seen Cheeks put in Speights, which I can't understand at all.  I want Cheeks fired and I want Miller traded for a real point guard who can run a pick and roll and doesn't try to post up his defender on offense as the Sixers solution for a half-court game.

The game is on ESPN, how can you not get that?

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
I heard a report Speights is inactive

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
NBA.com shows him on the roster, and I thought I saw him on the bench in his sweats.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »
Just saying what i read - obviously i was misinformed -s adly i'm still at work

so the sixers were close at the half - but the rebounding and FG% numbers didn't bode well if they didn't improve - doesn't look like they're improving

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »

The game is on ESPN, how can you not get that?

Working.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
Hey ricky - if i ever get it running - would youb e interested in helping me alpha test my 'nba pick em' game?

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
the sixers shooting percentage was around 49% at half time - it's down to barely above 40 - the cavs FG% at half time was 51 something now it's 53 something

Excellent

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »
I got home just in time for the second half.  Maybe it's not our painfully labor intensive offense, lack of a set rotation or ability to dictate matchups, maybe it's me watching that makes them suck. 

Green as starter, Thad looking lost, Speights with no playing time in the first half for no sensible reason.  Damn that's good coaching.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
I'm telling you, Cheeks has got to go. I'm going to write a letter to Ed.  It isn't the team he's assembled that's the problem, it's the coaching.

Miller is the wrong point for this team too, but he was still a better fit than A.I. because he doesn't dominate the ball completely.

A good point guard would distribute the ball to the open player. A team that knows how to run it's offense and knows where their team-mates are makes the passes that lead to open shots. There is too much one on one and not enough team play. That is a bad coach.

The rotations make no sense, and even when things aren't working Cheeks doesn't adjust. He is loosing games for the team and hurting their confidence.

We need a new coach bad, should have tried to get D'Antoni. I don't want Lynam either.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:28:22 PM »
can people stop pining for the days of Larry Brown - the Larry Brown era as a quality basketball coach is over - let him try (and fail) to redeem himself in CHarlotte already...the game has passed this megalomaniac by - let him ruin some other franchise....

I'm sure he's completely forgotten how to coach since Detroit.  You know, being so many eons ago.

Or, maybe he's just gone to horrible franchises.  That might be it.

Mo's a friggin idiot.  If you're going to bench a starter, it almost has to be Dalembert.  He's horrible, and a horrible fit.  Either start Speights, and keep Thad at the 3, or start Brand at the 5 and Thad at the 4.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »
I'm sure he's completely forgotten how to coach since Detroit.  You know, being so many eons ago.

Or, maybe he's just gone to horrible franchises.  That might be it.

He ran himself out of detroit, he embarassed himself in new york and i'm betting if MJ wasn't GM in Charlotte he wouldn't be working - he's an ego maniac who probably convinced michael this was the trade he needed to make the playoffs....

Larry Brown is also the wrong coach for this roster - wouldn't you agree?