Author Topic: The Ricky Report  (Read 1286 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
The Ricky Report
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:12:49 AM »
For what it's worth (not a lot, I know) - here is my take on the Sixers after this first, what, 25% of their season.  I just got here, so if a lot of this is redundant, forgive me; if anything is insightful that'll have been by accident:

1.   After about 15 games I had noticed that the Sixers had some curious stats:  more steals AGAINST than their opponents, several more TO's per game, far less assists, things of that nature.  And so I hypothesized that our early sub-500 record was indicative of no more than the team not being familiar with one another.  The had a lot of "sloppy stats".  The type that come from unfamiliarity.  And so I decided to check it out again this morning as I think they've started to play a little better together.

Lo and behold a lot of those "sloppy stats" have evened-out.  Their TO's are the same as their opponents.  Steals are starting to even out.  Assists, while still lower, have improved.  And I take these as positive signs to be sure.  Maybe they're beginning to gel a little.  We'll see.

2.   The thing I noticed that absolutely thrills me is that, in that same time frame that the sloppiness began to improve their domination on the boards remained the same.  They still play with a lot of fire (essential for a young, less-talented squad IMO).  I mean, they average FORTY PERCENT MORE offensive boards than do their opponents.  How can you not support a team that is so active on the offensive glass?  That stat has always been one of my favorites...and so I am, as I say, thrilled with their effort.

3.   So what about the beyond-the-stats?  What do we think we have here?  I'd love to hear what you guys think, in a general way.  I assume we all see things similarly, but I could be wrong:

-Elton needs guys to start slashing when he is doubled (all the time).  He should be averaging more than 1.5 assists when you consider the attention that comes his way.  But we've always been a stand-around team - which I dislike.

-Much as I've come around to Miller, I'd prefer to see him NOT score 28, 26 points in a game.  When he does that that is likely indication that his assists are down.  Five and a half aren't enough.  Again - our half-court needs more "purpose".  More off-the-ball screening, cutting, guys hitting shots (hey, there's an idea).

-Iggy.  Ugh.  At the risk of being labeled a basher...I will simply say that it's no coincidence that Iggy was a non-factor when AI was here, and is now again struggling to find his role on a team with a legitimate all star.  And will the other guys PLEASE stop giving him the ball within the last 4 minutes of a game?  I have never  - ever  - seen so many turn-overs, from one guy, during such critical times in any sport.  Iggy is not nearly as good as he THINKS he is, but he's still a helluva player.  But, man, he's gotta exercise some patience.  Some "cool".  Know what I mean?

-I still love our young guys: Young, Williams...  Speights will join that list next year.  Love watching Evans (despite his offensive liability).  Anytime any player gives you 110%...I'm in.  And their mistakes are pardoned by yours truly because they are created by a sheer desire to win. 

-Sammy.  I've lost my passion for bashing that guy.  I'm indifferent about Sam; he's inconsequential to me and to the Sixers.  But I will say that I expected a better season from him, given the fact he's really now only relied-on for trash clean-up created by others (a valuable role, to be sure); his usual 8-10 rebounds/game; and as a last-line of defense.  Given lesser expectations this year - I can't understand why he continues to be a foul machine and possesses not one well-honed fundamental.  But there's a lot about him I'll never understand.  As I say...I no longer have the energy or desire to critique him further.

-Mo.  A lot of that sloppy business, and a disappointing record, might normally be pinned to the coach.  And for good reason.  I mean - after all - it's HIS job to make sure these guys DO gel.  By definition a coach's job is to get his team to overachieve consistently.  Simple as that, for me anyway.  And he's not yet done that.  Never really has for any length of time.  And I could not understand why the heck we continued to see Donyell - not only riding the pine - but riding the pine in business attire game after game after game.  You don't think this team needs a solid vet or two?  No room for a seasoned Big?  One who can SHOOT?  Mind-boggling.

Hey, I'm not saying Donyell is the guy he used to be and that our record would be any better.  But this team needs many of the skills/traits he possesses.  At least put him in a friggin uniform.

Anyway - I believe we'll begin to see improvement week after week with this team.  It'll be slower than we'd all like because we're young...new to one another...and - perhaps - because our coach and "second best player" are both a little below average in their roles.  But it'll happen.  After 18 games last year we were 5-13.  Right about now we went on a nice run of 5-1, ending the season at 40-42.  Would you be disappointed if we only won 44 games?  Not me.  That'll probably be about 5th in the conference, and I'll take that.  It's NEXT year I'll be looking for 50 wins.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:20:27 AM by RickyPryor »