Author Topic: Sixers @ Pacers 11/14 - 7pm  (Read 10245 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers @ Pacers 11/14 - 7pm
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
Granger vs. Young should be entertaining.  Pacers do have a lot of shooters and after this dismal start we can't afford to take anyone lightly.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers @ Pacers 11/14 - 7pm
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »
uhhh... i know we're bad.... but losing by 24 to the pacers in the 1st quarter? 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
uhhh... i know we're bad.... but losing by 24 to the pacers in the 1st quarter? 

Does it help if it feels like the pacers are last years sixers - a lot better than given credit for just because everyone focuss on losing a star?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »
Playing better now.  Is it me or do the Pacers seem to be intent on getting all of the ugliest white guys in the league on their team?

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:21:48 PM »
Playing better now.  Is it me or do the Pacers seem to be intent on getting all of the ugliest white guys in the league on their team?
When's the chris kaman trade?

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
Ok - i'm still at work because of the fire

but with 7 minutes left in the game, the 3 sixer big men (dalembert evans and speights) have played slightly less than 24 minutes and none are on the floor right now - going small working a lot?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »
Best W of the season.  Good to see that they remain true to their relentless style of play from last year. 

How great does it feel knowing that Thaddeus Young is just 20 years old?  Amazing court awareness having the presence of mind to take a big man off the dribble getting to the hoop with ease to draw the contact before hitting two free throws to put us over the edge.  This kid does so much out there. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »
Playing better defense was working a lot.  Iggy was helping out every where, Young helped shut down Granger and WG played some nice D too.  I have to say that Brand is the best post defender the Sixers have had in a long time.  Sam can block shots from the weakside, but Brand is excellent defending bigs straight up.  

Willie Green is the best guard we have on offense right now, and it's not really close.  Thad is, well, beautiful, there I said it.  I would have liked to see Speights get Reggie's minutes tonight as the Pacers took advantage when the Sixers did not have a shotblocker on the floor.  Nice comeback triggered primarily by the D and Thad, Willie and Brand scoring.  Miller hit a few important buckets down the stretch, but left a number of shots short and still looks woefully out of shape or just plain slowwwww.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:55 PM »
I would have liked to see Speights get Reggie's minutes tonight as the Pacers took advantage when the Sixers did not have a shotblocker on the floor.

I was about to post the same exact thing.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Speights is the superior player and its not even close.  I honestly believe he deserves the lions share of front court minutes off the bench.  He's been productive in just about every stint he's played since putting on a sixers jersey.  Evans, on the other hand, flat out frustrates me. 

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »
Seems I missed quite a game - nba tv doing some post game i think - glad i played thaddeus tonight - shame i missed the game - i'm going to have to start using the dvr

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
Seems I missed quite a game - nba tv doing some post game i think - glad i played thaddeus tonight - shame i missed the game - i'm going to have to start using the dvr

There's no question that we wouldn't have won this game tonight without Thad.  In one play, granger rebounded a missed field goal and Thad wrestled it away from him, dribbled the ball behind his back out of granger's reach, and jumped from behind the backboard extending his arm to lay it in.  It was Dr. J'esque. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
I would have liked to see Speights get Reggie's minutes tonight as the Pacers took advantage when the Sixers did not have a shotblocker on the floor.

I was about to post the same exact thing.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Speights is the superior player and its not even close.  I honestly believe he deserves the lions share of front court minutes off the bench.  He's been productive in just about every stint he's played since putting on a sixers jersey.  Evans, on the other hand, flat out frustrates me. 

Evans has a place as a fourth big man.  He gives energy, rebounds, runs the floor and seems to get the other players working harder on D.  Plus he frustrates the other team and plays some mind games with them.  I like him paired up with Speights, but not playing instead of Speights.  Yeah, our coaching sucks even when we win.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:18 PM »
Like I said earlier in the thread, it seemed like the big men (minus brand) just weren't getting the minutes tonight - Mo went small a lot?

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
Yeah, our coaching sucks even when we win.

Welcome to the dark side :)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
Cheeks is driving me nuts by being so willing to go small, and play without a shot-blocker/rebounder in the middle.  I can't argue with the success of their win tonight, but if there was a weakness to their defense in the 2nd half it was their interior defense.

Sam Dalembert is playing terribly. It's as though he's regressed from last season. The Sixers would be far better served by playing Speights, if not as the starter, a backup with a good proportion of the minutes at Center.

These last two wins demonstrate that the team has the ability to compete, but still hasn't quite found it's way.  A team that is playing with confidence doesn't let themselves fall behind by 25+ points in the first quarter.

Part of it is that Miller is doing a terrible job passing the ball, and Cheeks lets him play no matter how bad he is. The team doesn't know who to pass the ball to, beyond Brand.  Iguodala and Young should have plays run for them continuously, to break down defenses.  Their speed and athleticism give them a huge advantage.

Against Indiana the Sixers were fortunate to get away with the win considering how many shots they blew at the end.  Anytime a Sixer would get the ball down low, he was instantly surrounded by three Pacers.  Yet, none of the other players worked to get open, so that ball handler would have an outlet. Instead of easy buckets, they gave up the ball.  Indiana just couldn't buy a bucket at the end.