Author Topic: Sixers at Toronto 11/12 - 7pm  (Read 12630 times)

jemagee

Re: Sixers at Toronto 11/12 - 7pm
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
How much longer until Speights outplays Dalembert?  Has it happened yet?

And here i was told this wouldn't happen until sometime next season :)

Willie Green (tonight withstanding) is still off the bench before Lou Williams and I still think that's a flaw in Mo Cheeks that creates some sort of blind spot for willie green.

It would have been very easy to bury speights behind evans if evans did not suck in almost every aspect of basketball save one.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »
And here i was told this wouldn't happen until sometime next season

I believe I said Cheeks Speights wouldn't supplant Dalembert in the lineup until next season, not that Speights couldn't outplay him.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
Now see - that's just odd hairsplitting to me.

If Player A and Player B play the same position and Player B is Playing better than Player A - then hasn't Player B 'earned' the right to be the starter - even if we all know player A will be a whiny cry baby if he's sent back to the bench?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »
If Player A and Player B play the same position and Player B is Playing better than Player A - then hasn't Player B 'earned' the right to be the starter - even if we all know player A will be a whiny cry baby if he's sent back to the bench?

No, that's not splitting hairs.  One has to do whether the coach and GM are going to sit their $10 million/year veteran for a green rookie, one doesn't.  Whether or not you like that, that does affect the probability of it happening.

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
I think you play your best five - no matter what they make - if you want to win - and professionals will step it up or not, but they'll still collect their paychecks...How many minutes a night is eddy curry getting in New York?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
That may be what you THINK, but 9 times out of 10, that's not reality.  And that's my point, that it lessens the probability of Speights starting over Dalembert this year.

BTW, Curry's playing 26 minutes, which is right at his career average.  He's only played 30 minutes per once in his career. 

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:57 PM »
That may be what you THINK, but 9 times out of 10, that's not reality.  And that's my point, that it lessens the probability of Speights starting over Dalembert this year.

Hurting one over paid haitians feelings shouldn't be the deciding franchise in anything a franchise does - especially one who has shown in the past to be a petulant unmotivated childish player even after rewarded with 50 million dollars - if the sixers are still starting sam so they don't hurt his feelings then they are more of a fracking mess than I thought they were and ed stefanski loses more points.  I don't care if 'that's how every body does it'

If everybody just said 'that's how every body does it' - and accepted it as fact - the world would never change - the As would never make runs at the playoffs with 40 million dollar payrolls and the '7 seconds or less' system never would have been introduced to the NBA?

"THat's how every body else does it" is Larry Brown thinking...and so what...if you think you got a better why - have some courage in your convicitions and don't be scared to sit your cry baby of a center who is being out played by a 20 year old on a rookie salary - play the best players that give you a chance to win - or why bother playing at all?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
Don't expect Speights to get the nod to start at center this season.  It appears as though he's going to make a case to be the starter, but the likelihood of our rookie moving ahead of our $60 million center in the rotation isn't favorable.  Best case scenario, he shows enough to shop Dalembert next offseason in exchange for either a PG who can better facilitate the pick and roll or some outside shooting... or both.  Being the 1st big off the bench 8 games into the season is still a far cry from what I was expecting... and it's been one of the few pleasant surprises thus far.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:51:40 PM by anklebreaker »

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
Don't expect Speights to get the nod to start at center this season.  It appears as though he's going to make a case to be the starter, but the likelihood of our rookie moving ahead of our $60 million center in the rotation isn't favorable.  Best case scenario, he shows enough to shop Dalembert next offseason in exchange for either a PG or some outside shooting... or both.  Being the 1st big off the bench 8 games into the season is still a far cry from what I was expecting... and it's been one of the few pleasant surprises thus far.  

As I already said - I think it's asinine bassackwards thinking....it's the kind of thinking that kept Jim Thome at first too long in Philadelphia...it's the tail wagging the fracking dog and this tail is soaked in dung and urine

Just because something has 'always been done' one way doesn't mean it's the right way to do something - 'common wisdom' isn't always ACCURATE

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »
To a franchise, coach, GM with more balls it wouldn't be an issue - the best player plays - and they say to the over paid putz - get better or don't play - stop being a child...you brought this on yourself.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »
Don't expect Speights to get the nod to start at center this season.  It appears as though he's going to make a case to be the starter, but the likelihood of our rookie moving ahead of our $60 million center in the rotation isn't favorable.  Best case scenario, he shows enough to shop Dalembert next offseason in exchange for either a PG or some outside shooting... or both.  Being the 1st big off the bench 8 games into the season is still a far cry from what I was expecting... and it's been one of the few pleasant surprises thus far.  

As I already said - I think it's asinine bassackwards thinking....it's the kind of thinking that kept Jim Thome at first too long in Philadelphia...it's the tail wagging the fracking dog and this tail is soaked in dung and urine

Just because something has 'always been done' one way doesn't mean it's the right way to do something - 'common wisdom' isn't always ACCURATE

It's a business.  If Speights is the superior player and our long term answer to start next to Brand, then demoting Sam to the bench does nothing but broadcast our predicament and tarnish what little trade value comes with an overpaid egomaniac center who can't retain fundamental basketball knowledge.  

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
then demoting Sam to the bench does nothing but broadcast our predicament and tarnish what little trade value comes with an overpaid egomaniac center who can't retain fundamental basketball knowledge. 

I don't buy that benching Sam is going to hurt his trade value - I don't think it's going to be hurt by his benching as most GMs aren't total morons so they know what Sam truly brings (and doesn't bring) whether he's playing or not.  And as for his 'attitude' - I think people will remember what happened when O'brien tried benching him and know what kind of player he is - and wouldn't be shocked if he was pissy if he got benched again.

Playing him, and having him play badly, doesn't increase his trade value and hurts the sixers, benching him dooesn't (I believe) hurt his trade value all that much but doesn't hurt the sixers...

It's not like Sam has earned any kind of 'cache' based on his play since he got that big contract - and it's rather telling that the 20 year old rookie is already outplaying him...

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
No, most GM's are not idiots, and they do know what he brings as well as all baggage he carries, which is why his trade value is so limited... especially in a time where teams are looking to clear salary for the much anticipated upcoming free agent class, rather than commit such a substantial chunk of salary to someone who is a complimentary/serviceable player and nothing more.  Demoting Sam to a rookie, albeit a good one, may or may not change some GM's perceptions as to what he can deliver on a nightly basis, but certainly announces that we are heading in a different direction and puts us at odds with any bargaining chips if/when we are able to move him. 

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
If only his contract was 5 years instead of 6 - the 'lebron/bosh/wade' feeding frenzy would make sam so much more valuable.

Damn you billy king - DAMN YOU TO HELL

:)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
I'd like to point out that benching Sam will almost guarantee a hissy fit and a major minus in the "team chemistry" department.  That's gotta count for something.  Also, Speights, although he's had some nice blocks, has been less than stellar defensively at times, especially when it comes to getting back and stopping the break.  I think getting 20 minutes off the bench, at least for right now, is the best course of action.  I think he would be showed up a few too many times going up consistently against many starters in this league.  A few more good games off the bench, and maybe you start considering it.  But I don't think Speights has done anything that has warranted "definitively better than Sammy" talk yet.