Author Topic: Clippers Salary situation  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Clippers Salary situation
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
The cap is set to, what, 57-58 million this year (hasn't been set yet, but that's where estimations are).  Let's say $58 million to be safe.

Kaman: $9.5 million
Mobley: $9.275 million
Thomas: $6.049
Thornton: $1.776
Knight: $1.728
Davis: $12 million (estimate)
Gordon: $2.186
Fazekas: 0.886
Marcus Williams: 0.886
Powell: 0.864

That there totals $45 million, meaning they have around $13 million in space left.  This means that in order to sign Davis, they have to renounce both Brand and Maggette.   So we're close to the amount they can offer if they do sign Brand.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clippers Salary situation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »
They don't need to renounce Brand and Maggette, they have Bird rights, but they're not restricted and don't have a cap hold.  And we're close, but we can't offer as much, and GS is reportedly offering 5 years in the 85-90 mil range.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »
The wrench in this is GSW who apparently offered him 5 years/$85MIL. I imagine the Warriors know LAC's cap situation and so I wonder if they threw that deal out there partly to try and get Brand but also because if Brand ends up wanting that money, it could mean that the Clips can't sign David or bring Brand back. Revenge is a dish best served cold and I believe GSW has done just that.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
I'm confused - you have davis listed already as part of the 45 million?  and the clips have already renounced on maggette and his hold is like 7-8 isn't it?

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »
They don't need to renounce Brand and Maggette, they have Bird rights, but they're not restricted and don't have a cap hold.  And we're close, but we can't offer as much, and GS is reportedly offering 5 years in the 85-90 mil range.

We went over this yesterday, and a link was posted, Brand and Maggette do have a cap hold because of bird rights

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

There's isn't a cap hold like RFAs but "killbuckner" on realgm (cap expert) has said that there is a cap hold of sorts for the player's Bird Rights and that a team would have to relinquish those rights in order to sign a player from another team to a huge deal.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »

We went over this yesterday, and a link was posted, Brand and Maggette do have a cap hold because of bird rights

Oh, I must have missed that.  Well, FA is a helluva lot more interesting than we expected it to be.  Which sucks for the Sixers.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »

There's isn't a cap hold like RFAs but "killbuckner" on realgm (cap expert) has said that there is a cap hold of sorts for the player's Bird Rights and that a team would have to relinquish those rights in order to sign a player from another team to a huge deal.

Cap holds have nothing to do with restricted/unrestricted.  It's based on bird years (and what salary you're coming off of).

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »
I'm still confused on your math - do you know the cap holds on maggette and brand?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »
I'm confused - you have davis listed already as part of the 45 million?  and the clips have already renounced on maggette and his hold is like 7-8 isn't it?

If the Clippers want to sign Davis to his rumored contract, they have to renounce brand.

Kaman: $9.5 million
Mobley: $9.275 million
Thomas: $6.049
Thornton: $1.776
Knight: $1.728
Brand: 16.11
Gordon: $2.186
Fazekas: 0.886
Marcus Williams: 0.886
Powell: 0.864

That's $49.3 million, which leaves them 8.7 million, which is less than the rumored $12 mil per year to start.  So they have to renounce brand to sign Davis to the rumored deal.

Once they renounce Brand, he loses his bird rights, which means they can't go over the cap to sign him, and they can only offer 5 years and 8% raises.  That's why I posted the original salaries with Davis.  If they do the rumored Davis trade (and not a sign and trade), then it is possible someone can sweep in and steal Brand.  Brand may have more interest in staying with the Clippers, but the Clippers have less resources to re-sign him.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:03 PM »
I'm still confused on your math - do you know the cap holds on maggette and brand?

Brand's cap hold is $16.11 million.  Maggette is $10.5 million.  Maggette being renounces is virtually guaranteed at this point.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
Golden State, if they renounce Pietrus and Matt Barnes, has like $19 million.  They can offer Brand a significantly higher contract than the Clipps if they want to (they can go upwards of $16 mil to start).  Golden State can also offer Igudala and Smith max money contracts.  They could really be players in FA until they re-sign Ellis and Biedrins.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
When do rookies count against the salary cap? Can't be moment they are drafted right?

Additionally, if davis contract is 5 years / 65 million, which averages 13 mil per year, wouldn't the starting base be slightly less than 12 million if there's 10% raises every year?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:18:52 PM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »
Ack: Jem, I accidentally deleted your post.  I meant to hit "quote", and hit "remove" by accident.  They're right next to each other :(

to answer you're question, those figures I've posted already include Maggette being renounced.  If they don't renounce either Maggette or Brand, they're over the cap until one of them signs.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
When do rookies count against the salary cap? Can't be moment they are drafted right?

July 1st.