Author Topic: Wizards Making Money Disappear  (Read 4234 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Wizards Making Money Disappear
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »
First there was a report that the Wizards and Jamison are finalizing a 4 year/$50MIL deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3467806

Then I saw on ESPNews that the Washington Post is reporting that the Wizards are going to offer Gilbert Arenas a 6 year/$100MIL deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/29/AR2008062901786.html

Maybe I'm wrong but I think both of those deals are great deals.... if you're not a fan of the Wizards. Arenas hasn't put together a fully healthy season since the 04-05 season and he hasn't gotten that team past the first round in the playoffs. Jamison is a nice player but he's 32. I have the same feeling about Jamison getting a 4 year deal at 32 as I did about Ben Wallace getting a 4 year deal a couple of years ago.

Were the Wizards THAT afraid of losing these guys that they went this overboard to keep them?? Will the Wizards see Round 2 of the playoffs anytime soon?

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wizards Making Money Disappear
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »
16 million a year, yikes.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »
I don't see this Wizards team making it past the 2nd round as currently constructed... even if everyone is healthy.  They are probably a move or two away from competing in the upper echelon of NBA teams.  I'm not fully aware of their payroll a few years down the road, but I'd like to think that these two signings would limit their flexibility to make the moves necessary to get to that next level.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
I think they'd be happy if they made it to the 2nd round since they've been bounced 3 straight years by the Cavs in the first round.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
They must feel really at home there

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »
for 100 million plus i'd feel at home most places

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
Hahahhahaha.....I meant in the first round

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:36 PM »

Home is where the money is, right?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »

Home is where the money is, right?

I am home, ain't no money here.  ;)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Warriors making max offer to Arenas and Washington close to it:

Both the Washington Wizards and Golden State Warriors have offered Gilbert Arenas max deals, according to a source close to the three-time All-Star point guard.
The Wizards early Tuesday morning offered Arenas a six-year $127 million deal, according to the source, and the Warriors offered Arenas five years for $101 million. The Wizards, because Arenas was under contract with them, are permitted to offer six years while other teams can offer only five. -- The Washington Times

According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Ernie Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.
Also, I heard from a very reliable source that the Sacramento Kings contacted Arenas and said they are willing to do "whatever it takes" to land his services even if they have to "trade their entire team." -- The Washington Post

Because of his $35 million deal with Adidas, Gilbert Arenas has flexibility and -- according to a close friend of the guard -- could consider signing for another team for less if it meant having a greater chance at contending for a title more quickly.
But the source added Arenas has not scheduled any visits with other teams and will not consider fielding outside inquiries until any possible scenario that includes a return to the District is ruled out. -- The Washington Times

I can only say thank god it is not us.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
Oh, there were those who thought adding arenas this off season were a good idea, they won't admit it now, but I remember reading calls for arenas at big dollars and vomiting in my mouth a little.

I can't believe geoff petrie would trade their entire team for arenas - i mean - they need a real point guard...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
They realize they are spending $127 million on a guy named Arenas, not buying themselves a new arena, right?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
By the way, if the Warriors did offer to max Arenas out... is that formal? I mean, they supposedly have an offer out to Brand as well. Unlike the Sixers who seem to be doing little... GSW is making a mess of things and I like it.