Author Topic: Memphis' PGs  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Memphis' PGs
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
Lowry was the first guard off the bench last year, even after the trade. (his minutes were actually higher post ASB. Crittenton mostly played the two anyway, so guess Lowry is only relivent when you're talking about the point guard spot.

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
Crittenton was a rookie who didn't go through training camp to learn Iavaronis system, with the extra training camp i would expect Crittenton to outplay lowery, and if he can't out play lowery i'm a little concerned about him :)

Offline Stanford

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »
He'll still only be 20 at the start of the season. I wouldn't be suprised if Lowry ended up with more minutes then Critt this year,

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
As much as I'd want Crit on this team, I would give Carney away to Memphis for almost nothing (some kend of pick down the road?)

If we can somehow talk memphis into taking one of our 2-4M players we will free up enough cap space to have a legit shot at Brand.

I think Brand might not make this team a contender this year- but in 2-3 years he might push them into ECF contention.

I'm not someone who thinks Championship or bust- so even if Brand doesn't get us a ring, he would still make the team damn good- and then the team might still be good after he is past his prime as our young core comes into its own.

BTW- already giddy thinking of Speights down in the block finishing those easy baskets that Evans could not handle.

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »
If we can somehow talk memphis into taking one of our 2-4M players we will free up enough cap space to have a legit shot at Brand.

Only if brand opts out which isn't a sure thing yet...most people believe it isn't...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »

Only if brand opts out which isn't a sure thing yet...most people believe it isn't...

We will know in 3 days- and I'm sure he will tell the Sixers his level of interest if he opts out.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 11:07:20 PM »
I recall the Griz saying they intended to use Crit as a combo guard, with most of his minutes at SG when they picked him up last year.  They will pretty much be stuck with Jaric and Conley and Mayo will be the starters sooner rather than later.  I am a big Lowery fan (nothing to do with the Philly connnection BTW) and would love to see a Carney for Lowery trade.  I see Lowery as a very good back-up who can play up-tempo, distribute and play defense and who is developing a three point shot.  Oh, to have a PG who can actually stop dribble penetration, it would be a beautiful thing.

I know he and Lou would form a teeny-tiny back court off the bench, but with a decent sized starting PG of the future (Felton?) we could mix and match pretty well.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 06:44:46 PM »
I recall the Griz saying they intended to use Crit as a combo guard, with most of his minutes at SG when they picked him up last year.  They will pretty much be stuck with Jaric and Conley and Mayo will be the starters sooner rather than later.  I am a big Lowery fan (nothing to do with the Philly connnection BTW) and would love to see a Carney for Lowery trade.  I see Lowery as a very good back-up who can play up-tempo, distribute and play defense and who is developing a three point shot.  Oh, to have a PG who can actually stop dribble penetration, it would be a beautiful thing.

I know he and Lou would form a teeny-tiny back court off the bench, but with a decent sized starting PG of the future (Felton?) we could mix and match pretty well.

I too would be in favor of a Carney/Lowry swap. 

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »
What if Memphis asks for Jason Smith for Critt.  Anyone on board for that?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:56 PM »
Hmmmm.... Smith for Critt? It's really tough for me but I think i would be in on that. What do any of us project Smith to be on this team? A 7th or 8th man in the rotation, right? What would you project Crittenton to be? Starting PG, right?

So in a sense, I'm being asked to trade our 7th man for the starting PG.... I'm in.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree TGP.  I would rather trade Carney than Smith but I can see Memphis (or anyone) wanting Smith more than Carney.  So reluctantly, I would do Smith for Critt..  I would not do Smith for Lowry though.  I have doubts on Lowry's upside.  At best a Bobby Jackson career back up type.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
I'd trade any bench player currently under contract for Javaris Crittenten (lou and speights not under contract yet ;) )

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
i'd rather trade carney (or green for that matter)  but smith is fully expendable.  i don't think he's a 1st big off the bench at best.  hopefully he doesn't get traded and he proves us all wrong

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Its not often good to trade a skilled big for a skilled guard, and we need shooters at any position we can find them- but I would swap Smith for Critt without a second thought.

In fact I already know the FA I would try to sign to replace Smith.  Yet another Clipper FA- Nick Fazekas.  He played great in the D league and well for the Clipps both shooting and on the boards.  He is a better shooter than Smith, but his lack of athleticism makes him a career bench player. 

I would not go after Fazekas unless we move Smith, but he would not be a huge downgrade- just less upside than Smith.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
Yeah, I agree TGP.  I would rather trade Carney than Smith but I can see Memphis (or anyone) wanting Smith more than Carney.  So reluctantly, I would do Smith for Critt..  I would not do Smith for Lowry though.  I have doubts on Lowry's upside.  At best a Bobby Jackson career back up type.

I agree. I guess my question is... can Memphis get a better offer? Then again, this is Memphis and we saw what they got for Gasol so nevermind. I know SF76 reported that Stefanski wants to sign a veteran PG for the minimum so it doesn't sound like he's all that interested in bringing in another young PG to compete for minutes at the 1 with Lou. I think this is a mistake on Ed's part. I realize that if Miller walks at the end of the year that he can go obtain a PG but he would be desperate at that point and he would be bringing in a guy to run the team who doesn't know the team. I think I would rather him acquire a young PG to groom this year and then turn the team over to him the following season or perhaps not... but at least Ed will know what he's dealing with.