Author Topic: SG or PF???  (Read 9511 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
SG or PF???
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »
During his post-draft press conference, Ed Stefanski made a comment that Louis Williams is probably the back-up PG on the depth chart but that he will compete for the starting 2-guard position. Ummm.... I realize that he's talking about the now but if we strike out with Brand, Smith, and Okafor... should we turn our attention to a SG??

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: SG or PF???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
I really thought Ed was committed to Iguodala as the SG.

I think that interview with Ed posted at realgm last week was legit- and it basically said the starting SF was Youngs job to lose, and AIG was going to shift to SG.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

I think that interview with Ed posted at realgm last week was legit- and it basically said the starting SF was Youngs job to lose, and AIG was going to shift to SG.

I just find his quote at the press conference to be interesting. I mean, he could have said that Lou is currently the backup PG on the depth chart but he went further and said he'll compete for the starting SG. It's just a weird thing to say, that's all.

I've thrown this idea out there before... what are your thoughts about Michael Redd wearing the Sixers red uni??

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »

I just find his quote at the press conference to be interesting. I mean, he could have said that Lou is currently the backup PG on the depth chart but he went further and said he'll compete for the starting SG. It's just a weird thing to say, that's all.

I've thrown this idea out there before... what are your thoughts about Michael Redd wearing the Sixers red uni??

How would we be attaining him? 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »
Well... things are a bit different now that the Bucks have Jefferson but it would have involved our cap space and maybe a young player like Lou Williams. Things are different now and I imagine it would have to be a three team deal now.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
I'm confused...does this mean that thad young will STILL be the starting four?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »
I get the sense that Ed wants Thad to be the starting SF eventually, but Ed is unsure if Thad's handle/perimeter game will be ready this fall to start him at the SF.

If Thad is not ready to start at SF, it opens up a spot at SG- but I think only a temporary one.  Eventually Iguodala will be the SG and Thad the SF- each for 35-40 min/game.   The remaing 20-25 min at SG/SF is not much leavings for Carney, Lou and WG to fight over- so I think Lou will have to continue to give them 15 min at PG.

Also- I'm not surprised Miller is not so comutted to staying past next year given how many 4th quiarters he spent on the bench in favor of Lou at PG.  I can't imagine that would sit well with any starting pg.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
Millers issues with staying in philadelphia seem to be more about his desire to play back west where he's from...he's a different kind of cat, if he has issues with the way the sixers win games, going uptempo and athletic late and he can't keep up, that's fine, I'm all for trading him for the best deal possible (that's still available)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
I know this has been a popular question for a year and half but... do you think Miller will have more value this summer or at the deadline???

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »
I think he had more value last year before the draft.

I think he has more value NOW because the 'deadline' deals last year with such big names like Kidd and Shaq didn't seem to work out very well (whether (i can't spell that word right now for the life of me) they should have done better or not is up for debate, but the perception is that those mid season trades were failures), I think miller would be seen only for the expiring deal at the deadline.  However, if a team is thinking they are a point guard away from making a serious run this season miller has value as a player AND an expiring deal.

Miller isn't jason kidd - reputation matters - past performance matters, who cares how much they stink now - so people might thinkk - couldnt' get it done with kidd mid season how can miller help?

Mid season trades iin most sports hardly ever win a title - and unless you have two real desparate teams, you aren't going to get a great deal for him.  Offseason, more teams might be interested....hell the hawks might be interested as a one year stop gap to build upon last year, you never know.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »
Now that Speights is here, I could warm up to the idea of signing Jamision to a 2 year deal as a WORST CASE SCENARIO.  I'd much rather pursue that long term answer, but I wouldn't be appalled if we brought in a veteran guy who would help the team in the immediate future and wouldn't hamstring us financially down the road. 

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
I believe that until proven otherwise, speights is the long term answer, if jamison were willing to only take a two year deal i think he's a nice fit for the sixers and what they are trying to do.  I don't think he'd settle for only two years and I'm pretty sure that if the wiz let jamison walk it would make gilbert very angry, and you wouldn't like gilbert when he's angry.

I'm 'content' for the future of the sixers at most starting positions except for point guard, if speights develops like i believe he can, sams deficiencies won't be so much of a bother because there'll be one serious offensive threat down low who might draw a double team.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
Two years would be great as a stop-gap, but I can't imagine Jamison would consider such a short deal- unless we somehow frontloaded his contract.  This is his last shot at a payday.

Maybe they can get creative with something like 11M/8M/5M/5M (player option for last 2 years) to give him the money he wants, but have him eoither gone or earning back-up money after 2 years.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »
Does anyone like the idea of pursuing ronny turiaf this summer?  He's a great bench guy, as far as i'm concerned he's a better bench option than any the sixers currently use at PF

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
Two years would be great as a stop-gap, but I can't imagine Jamison would consider such a short deal- unless we somehow frontloaded his contract.  This is his last shot at a payday.

Maybe they can get creative with something like 11M/8M/5M/5M (player option for last 2 years) to give him the money he wants, but have him eoither gone or earning back-up money after 2 years.

4 years is a bit too much for my liking, but if we can come up with a similar payment plan thats not as harsh in the final years it wouldn't be as bad.