Author Topic: Off Season - Now What  (Read 9694 times)

jemagee

Off Season - Now What
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »
So according to local folks, stefanski is appearing on CSN right now which makes me feel that the sixers aren't moving into the second round anywhere and that tonight is just Speights, which personally for me is huge as i'm 'two for two' on my early calls to the sixers...let's hope he pans out as well as Iguodala has.

But it ain't over yet - sixers got holes - sixers got restricted free agents - sixers got 10 million in cap room and probably the most cap room on a team that's going to spend it.

they really need a more mature PF presence that isn't currently on the roster, a better back up PG and Willie Green just has to be gone.

Brand probably won't opt out, Marion isn't opting out, o'neal has been traded to tonroto

So what do you want to happen, what do you think will happen?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Off Season - Now What
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
I'm going to go with the easy name which is Josh Smith. I think Marion is a legit option now that the Heat have Beasley. Odom is also out there although he's hardly the PF most of us want.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »
-Ecstatic with brand.
-Very Happy to get Smith.
-Unhappy to sign Jamison for more than 2 years.
Everyone else is just honing the edges.  Maybe a decent shooting gauard who can shoot?

Hopefully Speights will be the answer in a few years at PF.  Hoping for a good season, but not expecting great things this year.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »
Dbods threw out the name of "Gordon". I assume he's talking about Ben Gordon.... thoughts???

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »
Gordon is a good scorer/shooter, but will cost too much giiven he would not be a starter (Iguodala will be the SG).  Also, I don't see many minutes for both Gordan and Lou.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »
Josh Smith most definitely tops my list.  We have about as good of a chance of adding Brand as Don Imus has of surviving a stroll through Compton. 

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
I'm confused with the need for a SG

SG - Iguodala
SF - Young
PF - Speights
C - Dalembert

What's wrong with that if we find a PG of the future?

When they talk about other players 'competing' for the starting spot at SG it makes me worry about Iguodala as a sixer beyond this past season.

As for L-Williams - he's not a starter, he's not kevin marting, he's a back up, he should get every minute of willie greens, but willie green is a back up too

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »
i guess next steps for Fast Eddie is to find a way to trade Willie Green's contract, see who opts out, find a shooter and maybe a back up PG.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »
I'm confused with the need for a SG

SG - Iguodala
SF - Young
PF - Speights
C - Dalembert

What's wrong with that if we find a PG of the future?

When they talk about other players 'competing' for the starting spot at SG it makes me worry about Iguodala as a sixer beyond this past season.

As for L-Williams - he's not a starter, he's not kevin marting, he's a back up, he should get every minute of willie greens, but willie green is a back up too

Obviously the team doesn't feel as though Speights is ready to start. We have the ability to gain an asset and so if that happens to be a SG, I would be okay with it since we struggle to hit anything outside of 18 feet.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
From sf1976 at realgm:
a brief summary of what we are looking to do in free agency conversation with agents early on in the free agency period.

We want to sign a 3rd point guard for the vet min. Would consider bringing Ollie back...also have interest in Lindsey hunter

As far as SG...we are trying to do anything we can to move Willie Green. FA guards that interest us are Brent Barry and Maurice Evans. Also watch out for Jawan McClellan...they really like him....as a defensive stopper.

Big men....we gotta wait and see whats up with Brand and Smith..they will start there..and work their way down their list..Marion, Sheed, Jamison also on that short list.

And they are still talking to the Clips about the rights to DeAndre Jordan. Thats all I got for now.
Only specifics I heard was the Marion trade..we are waiting to see what Brand does and if we can move Green to make our offer to Josh Smith better.

We are trying to get that PF first and foremost..Duhon wouldnt take the vet min. I have heard McCants name from Minny....but nothing about Gomes or Smith....sorry.
I dont think we will strike out at PF.....Childress isnt really a shooter.....he is more like Iguodala......I think ours moves are...get the PF at all costs....vet pg for min....and if there is any money left over..try and add a pure shooter.

Interesting to hear:
1.  We are still trying to get Jordan.
-If we make a big splash in FA/trade and still have the Utah #1, I would consider trading it for Jordan.

2.  The confidence that we will get a PF.  I take that to mean that Jamison is available as our back-up plan.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
We're probably confident because we already know what it will take to get Marion. Perhaps Ed is looking at things like this...

Plan A: Go after Brand, Smith, or Okafor

If we strike out there... then turn around and make a deal with Miami for Marion. If he knows what it will take to get him and he's just waiting to see if he can do better before making a deal for Shawn... well, then he has every right to be confident.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
Sounds like a big off-season with any of those scenarios.

I actually was not expecting such a big splash- but would be excited to see such an upgrade at the PF position- even if it is only a 1 year trial period for Marion.

Also, maybe I am to optomistic, but getting Speights makes me feel more comfortable acquiring a non-classical PF like Marion or Smith.  With two complementary PF/C's in Jason Smith and Speights, we have more flexibility to integrate tweeners like Young, Marioin or JSmoove into the line-up.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
I USED to be a huge Marion fan back before Nash and Amare to Phoenix. My love for the guy has gone down a bit over the years but the fact of the matter is that we are a run and gun team in the East which means Marion is a solid fit for us at the 4. Is he the ideal PF for anything beyond this upcoming season? Probably not but he makes a lot of sense for the time being when you factor in his contract.

Also.. if we do trade for Marion, I highly recommend that no one buys his jersey this year. I believe Modells will have it for $4 next summer when he signs with another team.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
Trade willie green to GSW for nothing - they have a trade exception....let them have him for free :)

None of those names that weren't PFs were all that thrilling to me.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
ANyone have interest in giving telfair a shot?