Author Topic: 2008 Draft Day Thread: 7:30 ESPN  (Read 159751 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Draft Day Thread: 7:30 ESPN
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
I can see where the team is going with Arthur/Speights/Jordan.  Add Hickson, and that's the names I'm focussed on.

Jordan definitely has the biggest bust potential- but as a bust he might still develop into a decent defensive back-up center- which has some value.  If he develops into Sam's replacement (and he has 3 years to grow into that) they have a steal.  Replacing a starting center is about the hardest thing to do in the NBA, so even if the other guys have similar upside, "legit center" upside is more valuable in building a franchise.

Speights is in the middle since he has starting PF/C potential, but in no way is a sure thing.  He's not as big as Jordan, so if he is a bust he probably won't have more value than a player like Melvin Ely or Herbert Hill (basically no value) where Jordan could still become a valuable role player with his size (think Diop) even if he never reaches starter level skill.  If Speights does reach his potential he will be a tremendous fit as an athletic PF who doesn't give away size on the inside.  It would be a huge value for an uptempo team to have a PF who fits and is not too small (unlike Marion.)  If he truly slides to 28 like has been projected, there must be some huge character issues.  I know he doesn't give very intelligable interviews to the media- but then again this is the franchise that was led to the promise land by Moses- speach impediment and all...

Arthur to me looks like close to a a sure thing for an uptempo team.  Unfortunatlely, he will always be one of those slighly undersized PF's that uptempo temas end up with.  I also had questions about his vertical and reach, but maybe he tested out poorly becasue of his nagging injuries.  I wonder if his playing weight was 220+ as opposed to the 216 he measured at the pre-draft camp.  I get excited watching Arthur play- he plays bigger than his size- but I'm not in TGP's camp yet.  But he would be a nice addition to the team.

Hickson seems to slot somewhere between Arthur and Speights in terms of size and potential.  I think he might fall through the cracks with all of the other bigs this year, and he would be a great pick if he slides into the 2nd round.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
I want marcus williams from the nets on the sixers

You and I both. Doesn't Bobby Simmons expire the same summer LeBron becomes a Free Agent??? Man there's a lot of movement happening before the draft even begins. I imagine there will be another trade during the draft that will feature a decent name. We've already seen Yi, Jefferson, TJ Ford, and Jermaine O'Neal already traded. I'm saying Barbosa is next.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
SF1976 reporting that Arthur is the #1 target at #16 if the draft goes as planned.  I think I just heard TGP start the celebration a few hours early.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
as long as it's not Jordan I'll be happy.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
I think I just heard TGP start the celebration a few hours early.

Is it too soon to start dancing in the streets?? I knew the Sixers Front Office would see things my way after 8 months of begging.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
Wait... I asked this earlier.... is it 5 minutes between picks for the first round? I always forget this.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
I would slightly prefer Speights though.  As long as it's speights or Arthur (or hickson, even though he looks out of the picture) I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:34:08 PM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
I would slightly prefer Speights though.  As long as it's speights or jordan (or hickson, even though he looks out of the picture) I'll be happy.

as would i - but they've seen them both a lot more than we ahve and i have to place faith in dileo (hopefully) that he knows what he's doing...maybe the psychological scoring was better for arthur or the personal interviews, that's not stuff we know about and it's not really measured but it matters.

As for the nets trade, i think it's silly :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
I would slightly prefer Speights though.  As long as it's speights or jordan (or hickson, even though he looks out of the picture) I'll be happy.

By Jordan I presume you mean Arthur?  Otherwise I need a psychologist to interpret the meaning of your last 2 posts.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
Exactly.... since when did Jordan supplant Arthur on both of your lists??

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »

bah.  Yes. I meant arthur.
By Jordan I presume you mean Arthur?  Otherwise I need a psychologist to interpret the meaning of your last 2 posts.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
Out of curiosity... is there anyone to like in the 2nd round? I doubt the Sixers make a move for a 2nd rounder but if they do, who stands out??

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
Here's the latest from Chad Ford...

The skinny:  We were hearing DeAndre Jordan's name last night, but a new name has emerged this morning -- Arthur. He's actually a great fit in the up-tempo style that Philly likes to run and may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Philly is looking at several bigs here, but as of this afternoon, it looks like Arthur's the guy.

It seems like all of the signs point toward Arthur... now the other 15 teams picking ahead of the Sixers just have to steer clear of him and we're all good.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
Apparently the SEA/LAC deal is off according to Andy Katz on ESPN at 6 o'clock.

jemagee

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
Apparently the SEA/LAC deal is off according to Andy Katz on ESPN at 6 o'clock.

Yeah, seattle is looking to move out of the 4 spot but supposedly asking a TON and both LA and charlotte passed.

Willie Green and the 16 do it ?:)