Author Topic: 2008 Draft Day Thread: 7:30 ESPN  (Read 159749 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008 Draft Day Thread: 7:30 ESPN
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
Thanks bods. This board is like Vegas... What's said here, stays here.

Hmmm... out of those 3, I'd probably go Arthur, Speights, Jordan.

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
ARGH - no order?

If mocks are to believed ALL will be available....jordan is the rawest and the one i want the least i could live with the other two and think on this team they might even start this year :)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »
Arthur also has a stress fracture.  No kidney problems as mike miss reported.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
Only one I'd be upset with is Jordan.  I'd much rather have Hickson.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »
If mocks are to believed ALL will be available....jordan is the rawest and the one i want the least i could live with the other two and think on this team they might even start this year :)

I agree completely. It's unlikely that Arthur and Speights will both be gone by #16 so if the team does take Jordan, I'll be a little disappointed but not completely. Speights makes a lot of sense but I think I've been on the Arthur bandwagon too long to get off of it now. If he's on the board and isn't the pick... a little piece of me will die. :-)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Under 6 hours to go until Draft Coverage starts. What's the time frame between picks?? 5 minutes???

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
If mocks are to believed ALL will be available....jordan is the rawest

He is the rawest.  And the least skilled.  with the least fundamentals.  And the least basketball IQ.

Of the 3, he's the most likely to never be a starter.  I've never seen a 7 footer with his body and athleticism disappear as much as he does in games.

That being said, he has been working in Philly all spring apparently, so the Sixers should have a grip of his work ethic.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »
That being said, he has been working in Philly all spring apparently, so the Sixers should have a grip of his work ethic.

Ahh, I forgot that he's been working out at Drexel all summer. I imagine the Sixers have stopped in to watch him more than anyone else they've seen so they must like his work ethic. That said, I'm just not a fan of having another project big man with a low BB IQ and fundamentals. I'm just now recovering from Dalembert and even he still has a way to go.

Also... I find it a bit disheartening that an NBA team (Memphis) is more or less allowing finances to dictate their draft. Supposedly they are looking to move down from #5 due to monetary concerns. If they are this tight about spending money at the draft then I don't believe we have to worry about them competing against us for free agents this summer. Then again, there really aren't any free agents out there to compete for.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Here's what I've come up in relation to Jordan. If the Sixers are able to trade with a team in the mid-20s in which the Sixers would get cash back and a lower pick in return for Green and the #16.... I would be okay with drafting Jordan.

Tonight isn't our night to drastically change our team but merely improve it. The removal of Green from the roster and the cap could go a long way toward improving this team next season.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
I don't buy that, if you are drafting tonight, you are drafting for the future and you should make the best possible choice for the future...i think when you take all the intangibles and IQ and upside etc...stuff together, all three are risks, but in order of 'risk'...jordan is the biggest risk with not a much bigger upside.

You are taking a huge risk with all 3, but i think Speights and Arthur have more of thsoe 'intangibles' you look for and have a better chance of hitting their upside than jordan...speights may be a one year wonder, but that's because he was blocked by lottery picks at a major school, jordan couldn't even average 25 MPG down the stretch at a mediocre basketball school....i think he's TOO raw and doesn't seem to like basketball that much.

Remember, the lakers got TONS of grief for drafting bynum and their franchise almost imploded...you CAN draft for the future here and an important piece, in two years i think speights can be an important piece, if he works at it, and i think he's more likely to work at it than jordan, but like it's said we don't know these guys as well.

As long as Stefanski is listening to Dileo i'll try to withold jumping to 'bad pick' conlcusiojns.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
If we're at #16 then Jordan isn't an option to me. That said, I don't have a problem with trading down and taking Jordan later on while unloading Green. While we don't think much of Jordan right now, he does have upside and some have compared him to Bynum.

I understand that you haven't been on "the other board" for a while now but I've been preaching to everyone that Arthur is the man for this team for about 8 months. Believe me, I'll be more than happy to see us stay at 16 and take him.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
How about that?  I would've figured the Bucks would have looked to move Villanueva.... I actually like the move for the Bucks.  Yi had a less than stellar rookie year... quite frankly, I think he's soft and don't like the fact that reps from China are constantly bitching and moaning about his minute distribution.  They also unload a hefty contract.  Meanwhile, the Bucks have a pretty good starting lineup going for them by eastern standards:

Bogut
Villanueva
Jefferson
Redd
Williams

This is the type of move I somewhat fear from the sixers.  The Nets have lacked a front court presence for EONS... The likes of Kristic, M Jax, Swift, Collins, and now Yi are not the answer.   

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
Yeah, I like the move for the Bucks as well.  More precisely, I dislike the move for the Nets.  But I also don't think it's going to be great for the Bucks.  that pg, sg, sf rotation for the Bucks is still going to be pretty poor defensively.

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
I want marcus williams from the nets on the sixers