Author Topic: NBA playoffs  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA playoffs
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Hi, guys!  I know it's been a long time -- life just doesn't give me as many moments these days -- it's a shame.  I really miss the old MSNBC days and the early days on this board.  There have always been great basketball discussions and some great basketball minds on this board -- truly miss those days! 

I just thought I would share a few thoughts about the playoffs!  I have enjoyed watching some great basketball (played by lots of teams who aren't named the Los Angeles Lakers! lol).  Kobe has been amazing - given his age, it's that much more amazing!  The Lakers made another huge mistake with their coaching choice (here's hoping that D'Antoni hires McMillan as the assistant coach and then takes the 2013-2014 year off).  I was so tired of listening to everyone talk about how "old and used up" Pau Gasol is -- the guy is a year removed from being the 2nd best player in the Olympics.  The problem is putting him out at the 3 point line and expecting him to have a great year.  It's so ridiculous that it's hard to believe D'Antoni kept doing it.  I would have loved to see a healthy Lakers team play the Spurs.  I don't think that we would have beat them but I think it would have been a good series.  As it was, it was pathetic in the end with a starting backcourt that was straight from the developmental league.

Speaking of the Spurs -- Pop continues to show why he is one of the best coaches year in and year out.  And then to see how the Spurs continue to pick up players that shine in their system (i.e. Leonard) and then Tim Duncan having one of the best years of his career.  Pretty impressive.  I'm not actually picking them to win the West but they will play tough ball.

I am enjoying what I am seeing out of the Grizzlies.  I think they have a shot of beating the Spurs to win the Western Conference. 

I am really enjoying watching the Golden State Warriors play.  Wow, when is the last time I said that?  Run TMC days?  This team is fun to watch and Curry has stepped up to become the best shooter in the league.  His release is so quick it's amazing.  But most of all, I love the way this team plays scrappy defense.  They are a fun team to watch.

Clippers -- just when you think they are going to turn the page but Griffen has got to step up and play some defense.  It's the liability of this team. 

Denver - another fun team to watch - thought they had the best scrappy defense in the league until I saw GS play.

Houston - this team has a great future.  I liked Hardin but he has proven he is a man.  He has put this team on his back all season and has shown OKC that they were stupid to trade him.

Chicago - plain guts.  Heard someone say that they have the best frontcourt in the league in Boozer and Noah but I think the Grizz are better.  I can tell you that these guys have exposed the way to beat the Heat.  Rebound the basketball!  I think the Heat will get beat by the Grizz or the Spurs -- whichever team comes out of the WC (I'm saying Grizz). 

Pacers - I would have liked to see this team with a healthy Granger. 

There have been some great playoff basketball to date.  It's a shame that OKC lost Westbrook but injuries happen (see Lakers).

Okay, last thoughts on the Lakers.  I was excited to see Dwight Howard come to LA but he has been a disappointment to date.  I know he wasn't healthy when he started the year but there were just too many games that he appeared to "take off."  Umm, that's why we traded the other guy.  He seemed to almost pout a bit when Gasol got the ball but Gasol is a better post player and a better passer.  If Howard will buy into a 1-2 punch down low and move without the basketball, Howard can get a lot of signature dunks.  Jodies Meeks was a disappointment -- he just kept missing wide open shots (that he is supposed to knock down).  Jamison wasn't a disappointment - I didn't like this signing to begin with.  Clark was a huge surprise but being sent back to the pine after Gasol came back  seem to knock his confidence.  We have turned Nash into a spot-up shooter.  Not his strength.

I don't know how the Lakers can possibly pay the luxury tax they have coming to them next year.  It is a crazy amount.  It leaves no room to sign any additional players and after this year, it's hard to see veterans wanting to come to LA next year.  At some point, we are going to have to look to the future. 

Okay, enough of my ADD wonderings!  Have a great day everyone!

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NBA playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »
Hey Randy,

This has been an entertaining playoffs, hasn't it?  Much more than I expected.  Like you I have been pleasantly surprised by teams like the Warriors and Rockets.   

One thing that should be mentioned with those teams is the coaching.   McHale's record as a GM was a mixed bag at best he actually did a decent job with the Wolves after he fired Dwayne Casey and he looks like a great fit for the Rockets.  I was critical of Mark Jackson a few  years ago when he was openly begging for a head coaching job in spite of having no coaching experience.   He seems to be proving me very wrong. 

I am not sure the Pacers would be any better with Granger.  He's a fine player but Paul George has absolutely flourished in his absence.  Not sure that would have happened if Granger was there and still the focal point of the offense.  At the very least he would have needed to surrender some touches.

The dark clouds overhaning all this are injuries and the Heat.   I thought the Heat would win anyway and with the injuries to Westbrook and Rose, (not to mention Hinrich, plus Dengs illness) means this could be a cakewalk for them. 

The Grizz strike me as having the best chance of beating them.  Tony Allen is as good as it gets on defense and even an aging Tayshaun has something to offer when it comes to slowing LeBron and Wade.   In addition, Gasol and Randolph are out muscling Ibaka and Perkins and the Heat don't even have that level of interior strength.

That said, I could see the Spurs digging deep and making one last stand and making the finals.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4064771

Which Laker poster do you find most likely to be the caller?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »
Just saw a poster that said
"We may be old but we still know how to sweep"  :)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »