Author Topic: Thanks guys ...  (Read 9475 times)

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks guys ...
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »
... for making the world a better place again!
 :)
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Thanks guys ...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
I did not think it possible in my life time, I'm truely amazed and proud of the United States of America.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »
I did not think it possible in my life time, I'm truely amazed and proud of the United States of America.

Same here. 

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
And now I'm ashamed of Arizona and Florida and might be ashamed of California depending on what web site I read
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:53:34 AM by jemagee »

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »
And now I'm ashamed of Arizona and Florida and might be ashamed of California depending on what web site I read

what  site(s) would that be. we foreigners don't get the major news all too often ...
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »

Regarding Cali, are you referring to Prop 8?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:28 AM »
Actually all 3 states had 'prop 8 type' initiatives - arizona and florida passed and depdngin on which site i read, California passed, was defeated, or is undecided...either way in this 'historic' election about how far we've come, the victory of blatant homophobia influenced by religious intolerance is an indicator of how far we've TRULY come to me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
Actually all 3 states had 'prop 8 type' initiatives - arizona and florida passed and depdngin on which site i read, California passed, was defeated, or is undecided...either way in this 'historic' election about how far we've come, the victory of blatant homophobia influenced by religious intolerance is an indicator of how far we've TRULY come to me.

Don't worry, it won't hold up in court.  I would LOVE for the word "marriage" to be purged from every legal and gov doc.  That will teach the intolerant.  I would love for the word "marriage" to be replaced with something like "union" in every legal and gov doc.  Let people and their church have the word "marriage", let every church and religion decide whom to bestow that title upon.  Let everyone have the title AND benefits of "union" under the law.  You will now get a "union" license and that's all you will need to get all the benefits that a current "marriage" license/certificate carries.  You can chose to stay with the "union" licsense/certificate and/or take it to your church and get a "marriage" one wich will give you ZERO additional benefits under the law.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:53:50 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
Can we call it something other than a "Union" - i'm not a fan of unions either - an artificat of an older time no longer (in my opinion) needed and more responsible for the economic issues in this country then they'd ever admit to.

I expect that one of these 'marriage' laws will end up in that big building in DC some day

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
Can we call it something other than a "Union" - i'm not a fan of unions either - an artificat of an older time no longer (in my opinion) needed and more responsible for the economic issues in this country then they'd ever admit to.

I expect that one of these 'marriage' laws will end up in that big building in DC some day

Call it whatever you like, that is not the point.  I think people have a hang up with the word "marriage", so change that title to something else and have that new title have every benefit of the current "marriage" title under the law.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
If you called it something else they'd still be opposed to it...I think you're being too kind.

People have a problem with homosexuality - and any thing that 'legitimiizes' homosexual couples in the eyes of the law will be fought by religious zealots and homophobes....not matter what you call it

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »
Don't worry, it won't hold up in court.

Which court? I thought it was an amendment to the State Constitution. Doesn't that mean it is now the law that the California Supreme Court must uphold.

The only way these amendments could possibly be overturned is if the Supreme Court steps in and somehow starts telling states what they can and can't do with their constitutions. If that happens, we WILL have a movement for a national amendment. And I don't think the "No to 8" crowd will like the results of that vote. Even Obama opposed same-sex marriage . . . got to tell you, I was surprised to learn that.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »
Well, Obama said it should be up to the states to decide.  He also supports Civil Unions.  He does seem to be caught up on the "marriage" term, though.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
Don't worry, it won't hold up in court.

Which court? I thought it was an amendment to the State Constitution. Doesn't that mean it is now the law that the California Supreme Court must uphold.

The only way these amendments could possibly be overturned is if the Supreme Court steps in and somehow starts telling states what they can and can't do with their constitutions. If that happens, we WILL have a movement for a national amendment. And I don't think the "No to 8" crowd will like the results of that vote. Even Obama opposed same-sex marriage . . . got to tell you, I was surprised to learn that.

I don't have a problem with banning same-sex marriage since marriage is a religious thing.  But I have a problem with people not having the rights and benefits of "marriage" under the law.  Like I said, this will be challenged in court, not the amendment but the rights of gay couples under the law.  My hope is the term "marriage" is completely purged from all legal and gov documents, it should not have been there in the first place.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »
Well, Obama said it should be up to the states to decide.  He also supports Civil Unions.  He does seem to be caught up on the "marriage" term, though.

That's cause he's not a religious nutcase.  Every "marriage" under the LAW, should be renamed "Civil Union".  People can goto to their church and get "married" and in no way, shape, or form impact their standing under the law.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"