Author Topic: Ok im convinced Nintendo is doing the Wii-Shortage crap on purpose  (Read 8384 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/06/no-slowdown-for-wii-and-ds-says-nintendo-prez/

You are telling me they had 12 months to up production for x-mas and they have been unable to do so?  My rear end.  This is totally a Nintendo marketing ploy that parents are going to buy into AGAIN this year because it's going to look like the hot 'item'

This system, honestly, sucks.  It's cool occasionally but for the most part it sucks.  Seriously.  Unless your a 60 year old who never played video games in his life.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: Ok im convinced Nintendo is doing the Wii-Shortage crap on purpose
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »
I've had this feeling that the shortage was artificially created by Nintendo for a while now, create more demand than there actually is.  I'm sure the Wii is a fine system per se, but the development for it outside of Nintendo seems to suck, but isn't that always the problem, 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles more often than not stink.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
I've had this feeling that the shortage was artificially created by Nintendo for a while now, create more demand than there actually is.  I'm sure the Wii is a fine system per se, but the development for it outside of Nintendo seems to suck, but isn't that always the problem, 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles more often than not stink.

During the year I don't see how they could sell out to the point where it put strains on getting the Wii's stocked for X-Mas.  Clearly it's a ploy to make it the hot ticket item for Christmas so that parents beat each other over the last remaining Wii's again this year.

I don't think its a fine system.  At first I thought it was cool.  Really liked the idea behind it and the games at launch.  Now after the luster has warn off I don't care about the system at all.  No must-have games have came out for it.  No games that are not kiddie-looking or hard to beat.  A lot of my friends who initially bought the system are saying the same things.  They don't seem to care for the system all that much because of the lack of quality games coming out on a consistent basis.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
I never had any interest in the Wii in general, the way it was marketed, the types of games I do enjoy to play when I play games.  The PS3 was just too damn expensive and lacking in quality games (though full of hype) until MGS4 and MGS4 supposedly was great for half the game at least.  I was perfectly comfortable with my XBOX 360 purchase and haven't had any RROD issues yet...happy with my small collection of 'quality' games that take a while...ws bummed that the force unleashed and fracture had so much geezus on them...worried a bit about fable 2 - but heck i still haven't even finished mass effect yet - probably not even halfway through it - and then i got COD4, Assassins Creed, and a couple others, and by then GOW2 might be out and be good, mirrors edge has possibilty.

I just wish the basketball games would get better :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »
I never had any interest in the Wii in general, the way it was marketed, the types of games I do enjoy to play when I play games.  The PS3 was just too damn expensive and lacking in quality games (though full of hype) until MGS4 and MGS4 supposedly was great for half the game at least.  I was perfectly comfortable with my XBOX 360 purchase and haven't had any RROD issues yet...happy with my small collection of 'quality' games that take a while...ws bummed that the force unleashed and fracture had so much geezus on them...worried a bit about fable 2 - but heck i still haven't even finished mass effect yet - probably not even halfway through it - and then i got COD4, Assassins Creed, and a couple others, and by then GOW2 might be out and be good, mirrors edge has possibilty.

NBA LIVE 09 on the XBOX360/PS3 LOOKS CRAZY!

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »
They always look good then they get mediocre reviews - metacritic is a really helpful site - i'm not driven by reviews in general but I wand a solid realistic basketball game - they are getting better though

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
They always look good then they get mediocre reviews - metacritic is a really helpful site - i'm not driven by reviews in general but I wand a solid realistic basketball game - they are getting better though

I've found, at least for playstation 3, that IGN.com has real solid reviews.  They've been spot on about 90% of the games they have reviewed that I got a chance to play.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
I'm sorry, but the core games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc) are worth the price of the Wii alone. From a gameplay standpoint, Nintendo has always been head and shoulders above the rest.  Sure, they don't have the same depth of library that other consoles have, but the exclusive games they do have make the system a must for me, especially at that low price point.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »
I'm sorry, but the core games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc) are worth the price of the Wii alone. From a gameplay standpoint, Nintendo has always been head and shoulders above the rest.  Sure, they don't have the same depth of library that other consoles have, but the exclusive games they do have make the system a must for me, especially at that low price point.

Yeah, I'm with Derek. The Wii works well for me because I'm more of a social gamer. I don't really sit by myself playing games, online or single play. Although, I'm playing Madden 08 on it right now, and it really isn't bad. I haven't played it on PS3 or 360 so I couldn't really compare, but I'm having fun. A few games stick out for me:

SuperMario Galaxy: Awesome game. I played this for hours. My two boys, age 5 and 3, sat with me for hours just watching me play, telling me where to go, what to do.
Mario Party: Not exactly my cup of tea, but my kids like to play it with me, and it's fairly fun with friends over.
Mario Kart: Best multi-player racing game, period.
Wii Sports: Very simple games, but they still entertain me.
Madden: Don't like the Madden interface as much as I used to, but that's not a function of console I suppose.

I'm in the middle of a major remodel, so I don't have a lot of gaming time. But when I'm done, I can see myself wanting a 360 or PS3. I played Gears of War and COD4 with some buddies, and it was AWESOME, even though I hate playing shooters with a control versus a mouse and keyboard. When that comes, I'll be sure to start World War 3 here by asking what I should buy: PS3 or 360.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
But see you guys are proving my point about the Wii and Nintendo consoles in general, the 'quality' games are fewer, and far between'er' - and primarily first part designed games - why is nintendo the only company that makes good games for nintendo platforms?

Also, why does nintendo not take advantage of it's advantages?  From what I understand, the Mii is a good concept, but Nintendo won't let them be used in games, and this whole friend code thing sounds like a cluster frack worthy of a congressional bail out.

You guys can name less than 7 'great' games for the Wii (I've heard great things about the metroid game for the wii but neither derek or ted mentioned it) - in 2007 -  there were how many great games that came out in the xbox/ps3 world (I don't know what is cross platform)

I think the point we were trying to make earlier is that the number of 'great' games on the Wii is much less and the amount of shovelware dropped on people is insane. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »
There are more good games, I just listed some of the nintendo exclusive games I can't live without.  I primarily play first person shooters, strategy and sports games.  For first person shooters I do (and always will) prefer the computer.  Same thing with strategy, both turn based and real time (compare civ on the computer with the one that just came out for the 360.  night and day in terms of depth).  That leaves sports games, some of which the wii has actually revolutionized (tiger woods for the wii was the first golf game I actually enjoyed).

And it's not like the wii doesn't get good 3rd party games, i.e. call of duty, sports games, etc.  Sure, there are some titles (MGS, GTA) that you can't get, but that's todays modern video game market.  360 owners aren't getting MGS either.

Ultimately, if you're a hardcore gamer, you're going to have to own multiple consoles to get your complete fix anyway.  For me, my PC and my Wii get me a good combination.  I'll play GTA at my brothers, and I'll rent MGS some day, and be happy.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »

I found Mario Kart and Mario to be big let downs.  Mario Kart for the simple fact that they didn't really do anything with it since the last time they put a Mario Kart out.  Plus I don't really like driving with the steering wheel.  I didn't think that was a make or break deal.  Mario was cool the first time I played it, second time eh, third time I was over it.

Ill give you the nod on Zelda but once you beat that game, it is beaten.  It's not like it has a million hours of replay value.  Which is what my major gripe with the system.  The replay value on the games is painfully low.  There are no games I've played that are addicting on the console....except when you use their virtual console....but that's just playing old addicting games I could play on my PC with a emulator.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:29:24 PM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »

That's because you're playing them on the wrong system.  There's only one good system for basketball games, and no one has been able to touch it for YEARS.

It's called the COURT.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »

That's because you're playing them on the wrong system.  There's only one good system for basketball games, and no one has been able to touch it for YEARS.

It's called the COURT.

:D

I haven't played basketball in over 2 years, for some strange reason I found myself missing the game watching pre-season b-ball this week.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
I think we've discussed the console vs console in some detail in other threads.  I do agree that Wii's supply problem is a marketing tool.  It's not like their supply ship sank in the middle of the ocean, which has happened to European and Asian car companies.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"