Author Topic: Barbaro  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Barbaro
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
Hey, y'all!!!

You would not believe the reprisals that L.A. Times sports columnist (and acknowledged staff curmudgeon) P.J. Simers is receiving because of this installment:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-simers30jan30,1,4331430.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-columnists

Hey, when my of my own pets dies, yes - it's a devastating event...but only for me and mine.  I kind of agree with Simers that these paeans to an animal are pretty much over the top.

What do you think?

_RB
Shaq #1

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:05:37 PM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Barbaro
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
Precisely RB!  It's like half the nation suddenly morphed into the kind of ten year old girls who spend all their time in school drawing horses on their notebooks. 

The scale of how we value and anthropomorphize (sp?) some animals more than others is a bizarre thing. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some of those girls could draw, though
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:35:19 PM »
Hey jn!

You are on point, jn - the anthropomorphization (?) of animals these days is beyond stupid.  While I know that animals are not flatworms, they are not human either.  Treat them kindly, and that's about all that needs to be said.  I personally think that much of this attitude arises from commercials with talking dogs, cats, geckos, etc.

- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?