Author Topic: Commodity prices tanking  (Read 3104 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
http://www.commodity-prices.net/

Unleaded Gas (6 months future wholesale price)  In early August it was
$2.35, and today it is about $1.55 down 34% in about 6 weeks.

Brent crude down 14% in a month

Aluminum down 23.2% in 4 months

Gold down 21% in 4 months

Propane down 26.4% in 2 months

Silver down 27% in 4 months

Natural Gas down 37% in 2 months

3 SHOP PONDEROSA PINE LUMBER  down 29.7% in 7 weeks

And now a coup in Thailand, where the Asian Currency Crisis of 1997
started, which lead to a collapse in commodity prices.

This on the heels of the Amaranth Hedge Fund debacle.  In case you haven't heard, Amaranth's natural gas trader was up $2.5 billion in August, and has proceeded to lose $5 BILLION in about 2 weeks.  Amaranth went from $9 nillion in assets to $4.5 billion, and because he bought on margin, they have potential losses that could exceed $32 BILLION.
He was convertable bond trader, who played the arbitrage game in bonds, and used the same logic with NG.  Buying on margin, and using that margin to take huge positions, yielding massive paper profits.  Only problem, he was the person most responsible for keeping the market up, in essence he was competing with himself.  As soon as he tried to consolidate his positions and take his profits, there were no other buyers, and everything began to crumble around him.

The IMF has stated they predict oil to increase by 20% next year.  I disagree, oil will be in the mid-40's mid to late next year.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:30:27 AM »
Don't trade the markets if you continue to think that way Ziggy.

Gold has bottomed, and I called it last week exactly on the day that it did.

Other prognosticators may dissagree, but I believe that I read charts better than most of them, particularly at the bottoms.  Tops are much harder to figure out since they tend to rise above all previous trend lines before crapping out.

There's even a dope on 321 Gold calling for Gold to head back to the $430 level!

There are long-term and short-term trends in the market.  We have indeed had a severe correction in gold, but we also have two very strong support levels for the price.  There was resistance at $541 the first time it reached that price (since 1979) and a subsequent rise to $575 where the price consoldiated for a 3 month period just prior to the huge run-up to $730.  After hitting that peak we went right back down to $542.27 demonstrating the support at that level.  We then rose back up to $676.41 before falling back down to what I predict is the bottom at $573.

We are still in a consolidation triangle from the peak at $740 and the bottom at $542. We're getting near the end of this pattern and IMO, this was the bottom.  

You can all buy now, and not ever have to worry about selling at a loss, in my opinion.

I will write again when the price gets back to the downtend line that defines the top of the triangle.  We will either break through then, or go back down for a little while first- but still above $575.

Assuming we do break out of the triangle, I expect that we will have another chance to get in on the cheap.  Typically breakouts like this go up, hesitate, fall back down to to the previous resistance line, and then take off.  In inverse patterns where the price hits a previous up trend line and then falls away downwards- known as the "Kiss of death" we have the opposite of what I'm talking about here.

The demand for commodities isn't going down.  The US economy may be rolling over but India and China are growing very rapidly and their demand for energy, and metals is only going to go up.

Understand that governments which print money, hate seeing commodity prices rise.  Their power and control stems from the ability to create money, and commodities like Gold tell you that their printing too damn much and creating inflation.

The past few months have seen a huge drain of liquidity from the market- engineered by the Central Banks, who paniced after seeing Oil and Gold run up to multi-decade highs.  China and India were both concerned about internal inflation and put on the breaks and so did Japan.

This is what drove oil and gold down, NOT THE SUPPPY AND DEMAND relationship.

Here's the key: Commodities like oil and gold are expensive to get out of the ground and process.  No one in that business will stay in business if they can't sell their commodity for more than it cost them to bring it to market.  That's why these things are more honest.  You have to work to produce them and they are traded on open markets.

Since CB's control the money, they and their cronies in the markets can play games temporarilly, but over the long run, no one can manipulate a market down when demand is high and supply is limited.  If they try they will break their own backs or break the markets, which means no one will trust paper (Fake money) for a long time.  That is a CB's and governments worst nightmare.

Not sure if you heard about the activity at the LME (London Metal's exchange) where they put in temporary restrictions on trades in Copper and Zinc to help out their friends who were short contracts and in danger of becomming insolvent.  Whenever the government or the market directors interfere with the free movement of prices- you know that the market is being rigged!

I post on these matters routinely at cometgold.com, for those of you interested in reading my charts and commentary you can find me there under my moniker Rickortreat.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:01:15 PM »
And another thing.

Dan Norcini has an article posted on jsmineset.com about the US dollar and 2 different indexes.

Whenever I look at the Dollar, I'm actually looking at an Index with is made up of only 6 countries.  This is because this is the one that can be traded.  

The Fed also published a "broad dollar" index, which is weighted by trade between the US and 28 different economic entities- including the Euro area, which excludes the UK. Sweeden and Swtizerland.

This is actaully the more important index since it reveals more accurately what the dollar is doing with almost all of our trading partners.

Right now the cometgold site appears to be down, 12:59 est.  9-22-06

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »
Rick,
I don't trade in commodities (except for that which I need for my job).  I am nowhere near informed enough to do so, and not nearly smart enough.  I would be the sucker everybody else makes their money off.  As far as gold, I can't challenge any of your statements, because I really don't know much about it, certainly not from a technical trading perspective.

Overall though Rick we agree about far more than you think.

I do agree with you about gold being driven by inflation.  It is seen as a safe haven, and a good hedge against further price increases in oil, or any other base commodity.  America has experianced significant monetory inflation over the past few years, and that has been the "cause" of the sharp run up in gold, no doubt about it.  I think it is important to understand and remember that, the vast majority of the run up in commodities has been a result of monetary inflation, and not because of increasing costs to extract, or grow a base commodity, or because of radically increasing demand, or rapidly decreasing supply.  There have been supply interruptions, but they have been temporary and not permanent.  Inventories were low when these disruptions occured, which exacerbated the supply issues, which lead to increasing prices.

Now just to repond to your most salient points
The demand for commodities isn't going down. The US economy may be rolling over but India and China are growing very rapidly and their demand for energy, and metals is only going to go up.

Understand that governments which print money, hate seeing commodity prices rise. Their power and control stems from the ability to create money, and commodities like Gold tell you that their printing too damn much and creating inflation.

The past few months have seen a huge drain of liquidity from the market- engineered by the Central Banks, who paniced after seeing Oil and Gold run up to multi-decade highs. China and India were both concerned about internal inflation and put on the breaks and so did Japan.

This is what drove oil and gold down, NOT THE SUPPPY AND DEMAND relationship.

Here's the key: Commodities like oil and gold are expensive to get out of the ground and process. No one in that business will stay in business if they can't sell their commodity for more than it cost them to bring it to market. That's why these things are more honest. You have to work to produce them and they are traded on open markets.

I agree that the demand for commodities isn't going to go down, but that doesn't mean that the supply of them will also go down, in the near term future.  We have seen a very sharp increase in prices across the board in VIRTUALLY ALL COMMODITIES over the past 2-4 years.  This follows the late 90's through early 2001, when commodity prices were incredibly low.

Did the demand equation change radically upward, while supply decreased AT THE SAME TIME FOR ALL THESE COMMODITIES?  

No, which confirms your point, and my point Rick, that the rapid increase in base commodities has been driven my monetory inflation and not because of changing supply/demand relationships.  Based upon the fact that governments have "drained liquidity" confirms my basic premise.  The big question is "will the governments return quickly to an inflationary monetory policy once commodity prices fall?"  If so, then buying gold, or any other base commodity makes sense, because it will be a good hedge.  If we are entering a period of tighter monetary policy, then buying commodities as a hedge doesn't make as much sense.

I am not yet sure I really understand what Bernanke is looking to do, and how aggressive he will be in managing monetary inflation.  I do believe that the Fed makes the mistake of attempting to manage money supply and monetary inflation only through the open market fed funds rate.  While it is a reasonably effective tool, there are other tools that can accomplish the same thing, and give you the ability to manage multiple variables, thereby creating less of a boom and bust cycle in our economy.

They should manage reserve requirements more aggressively, as well as the buying and selling of bonds, to not allow one tool to dominate monetory policy decisons.  The decision by Greenspan to drop interest rates to 1% was too much.  They should have never gone so deep, and they should have managed reserve requirements and bonds more aggressively, so as to not create a "low interest rate" driven economic boom.

I do believe that what the Fed has done with interest rates the last year has been reasonable.  It has pulled a lot of money out of the market, thereby limiting money supply, thus reducing pressure on base commodities.  While they have paused, I think they have done so only temporarily.  The main concern of the Fed right now, is much less about inflation, but more about severe deflation on the housing market.  There is already a significant slow down in housing (believe me, being in the wood products business, I deal with it every day), and they want to make sure we have a soft landing in housing.  A large number of the Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARM's) from the housing boom, are coming due in the next 3-4 months, as well as some acceleration in balloon payments due from interest only mortgages.  When these come due, there will be a large amount of disposable income pulled from the economy, and moved to mortgage market.  This will have a huge impact on money supply, and will reduce monetary inflation pressures on base commodities.  After we are through the worst of this, then I think the Fed will probably start raising rates agin, up towards 6%.

With regards to you key point, "Commodities like oil and gold are expensive to get out of the ground and process".  Expensive is a relative term, not an absolute term.  If it costs $20 a barrel to extract oil, it is expensive if you can only sell it for $22 or $25.  If you can sell it for $65 or $70, then extracting oil at $20 is very cheap.  Based upon the level of profits of the worlds major oil companies, extractions cost for oil are very cheap right now.  Even at $45 oil extraction costs are cheap today.  If extraction costs are high relative to return, then supply will not grow.  If demand is high, and supply is low, the only option is for prices to go up, and when they do extraction costs become less and less important, and supply increases.  

But extraction costs are related to supply and demand and not about monetary supply.  If the price run up has been due to monetary inflation then this is really not relevant.  If the price increase has been due to rapidly increasing demand accompaning declining supply, then extraction costs will determine how low prices will go.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:43:15 PM »
Commodities tend to run in 20 year cycles, and the last time we got into a significant inflationary period- which started during Nixon's presidency- when he closed the Gold window!  Prices in all commodities rocketed.

This time, the global expansion has brought India and China on line- there are a lot more people living in those two countries than the US, and there is no substitute for Copper when your building a power station, and unless it's hydro powered or nuclear, it's buring fossil fuels.

Almost 2 billion people are comming into the world economy, they are still poor, and per capita demand is weak, but infrastucture improvements will keep demand much higher than it ever was.

Until the late 90's commodities where dirt cheap, and a lot of mines closed down.  There is a severe supply shortage in Nickel, Copper, Zinc and Silver.  Gold doesn't get consumed but it does attract investors during times like these.  It will take time for these mines to start producing again to meet supply.

IF the economy rolls over and we go into a recession. (Soft landing my A$$ !) It will be hard to make a buck in anything.  Recessions are good for gold too- check out the price of Homestake during the 30's depression.

IMO, the fiat currency has created a world-wide boom - and what Austrian economists call mal-investment :  too many providers of goods and services for the demand from consumers.  I think we should be very concened about the whole world falling into a recession/depression and the CB's are trying very hard to keep that from happening, but they should never have pumped up the Housing market and Stock Market with easy money in the first place!

Asset prices depend on continued demand, and when consumers don't have jobs, they curtail demand.  Auto's and Housing are rolling over, and the stock market is getting a little fear about the future.

I don't want to get doomsday on all of you, but I would be very carefull about getting out of debt, and putting a lot of money away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
Here we are a week later, and Gold has passed 600 again.  We still have a ways to go before it hits the top of the triangle I described in an earlier post.  

No one is either too smart or too dumb to make money in the market.  Dumb luck pays just as well as being smart, and probably just as often, as too smart can get you into trouble too!

But inexperience is the killer to everyone, along with fear and greed.

The only way to learn how to trade is to invest one's time in it.  Learn to read charts and develop confidence in your technical skill and ability to follow a trend.  

One can get rich rather quickly, by purchasing and then selling options.  For example, I knew that mining stocks were going to be ripe for a rise since Gold has bottomed and was heading up.  So I stalked GG waiting for the opportunity to buy options.  On 9-26th at 2:40 (this is late in the day, and had I been watching I could have gotten a better price)  GG opened at 21.98.  A GGJX call for a strike of 22.50 would have cost $130.  The next day at 10:00AM I closed out the deal at a price of $170 per.  That's a 30% increase.

Later on that day, the price dropped to $135, but I wasn't sure it was a turn point so I waited and got in at $140.  By the end of the day, I closed out the postion again at $200, for another %40!

Today was a nothing day, you could have held that option for 200 and gotten out at 220 for another 10%.

I am not in now, but watching again,  the same option was trading at $195, but after a three day run-up it doesn't make sense to stay in overnight.  

The point is, just by sitting around and playing with $1,000 I made over $800 plus commissions.

I am not smarter than anyone here, but I took an interest in this subject and have learned how to trade.  If I can keep this up, I will never need to work again.  Just by reinvesting my profits and playing with house money, I should be able to make a good living- provided that I close out of trades that go against me quickly!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Commodity prices tanking
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 01:26:41 PM »
Wel, $570 did not hold after all, as they jammed Gold down hard once it hit $600.  IMO, da boyz want to keep Gold won until after the election to give Bush a good shot.  Same thing with the Market, they want to keep that going up for a while too.

Everytime Gold gets below $570 it's a buy, IMO.   But until we get past the elections it won't take off past the $600 level.