Author Topic: Best Video Game Ever  (Read 15646 times)

sf101

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
Sadly, it's not from Flashdance. It's from the DAILY VIEWING of my 6 year old daughers new favorite movie...

CURSE YOU....HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »
The Civ series is my favorite. I got Civ IV for Christmas last year (was still playing I & II) and it makes the first 2 seem like they were made for adolescents. One major addition is the promotion of your units upon gaining experience points...and the fact that there are usually 3-4 different types of promotion at each level. Nice crossover addition from D&D games.

Yeah Lurker, Civ 4 has been just ridiculously awesome.  I was on it hardcore for about two months earlier this year.  I'm a huge fan of all the three previous civilization games but this fourth one really has blown all of them out of the water.  How about the introduction of historical people and religion?  When your talking turn-based empire builder, few people do it as good ole' Sid Meier.  Which civilization (and leader) do you like to play, Lurker?

You also said that you had Warcraft but it lost out to Civ.  Which one of the Warcrafts if I may ask?
Skander, I usually just let it pick randomly.  Especially with Civ IV and then modify my game choices to fit the strengths of that nationality.  Although I tend to have the most fun with the aggressive (German, Japanese, Mongols) civs.  What are your favorites?  Have you had much success with ones that have financial or cultural traits as their strengths?

Warcraft actually belonged to my son and I "inherited" it (as well as Age of Empires I) when he went off to college.  It was the first one but I had played Civ so much that I found myself going back to it over & over again.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »
Skander, I usually just let it pick randomly. Especially with Civ IV and then modify my game choices to fit the strengths of that nationality. Although I tend to have the most fun with the aggressive (German, Japanese, Mongols) civs. What are your favorites? Have you had much success with ones that have financial or cultural traits as their strengths?

Aggressive Civs, huh?  Figures you'd like them because earlier in the thread you talked about how you've enjoyed the ranking bonuses for the units and aggressive Civs tend to get more of those bonuses and sooner.  

I've got a suggestion, try out Huyana Capac of the Incan Empire (Aggressive, Financial).  His UU (unique unit) replaces the standard "Warrior" and has advantages against "Archers".  You can make a real nuisance of yourself in the ancient age.  If you play on a smallish planet and manage to conquer everyone before 1000 A.D., you'll probably achieve one of the highest scores you'll ever get.

What are your favorites? Have you had much success with ones that have financial or cultural traits as their strengths?

For a nice long cultural or scientific victory I like Ghandi of India (Industrious, Spiritual), good special structures and no revolutions so I can make the most of my civics; plus the UU (Fast Worker) probably has the most versatility of any UU.  I also like Catherine the Great of Russia (Financial, Cultural), money and borders, along with an Industrial Age UU that just rocks in Cossacks.  As you can see Financial is extremely useful in that it increases your flow of money decreasing the penalty for building lots of cities.  Cultural is useful if you're warlike and expansionistic, wide open spaces to keep others from building to closely not to mention extra culture benefits in the early-mid game.  I think the one trait that I find the most useless is probably Expansive since the only cities that'll have health problems are ones built on Delta's.    

Warcraft actually belonged to my son and I "inherited" it (as well as Age of Empires I) when he went off to college. It was the first one but I had played Civ so much that I found myself going back to it over & over again.

A-Ha that makes sense.  Yeah Warcraft I was pretty revolutionary for its time but the newer designs of Warcraft III and Starcraft really are ages ahead of that game.  More profound than the changes between Civ I and Civ IV if you can believe it.  

Still, I do agree with you, not even a well-balanced RTS has that "Just One More Turn" addictiveness of a well-developed turn-based empire-builder.    

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »
Skander, I usually just let it pick randomly. Especially with Civ IV and then modify my game choices to fit the strengths of that nationality. Although I tend to have the most fun with the aggressive (German, Japanese, Mongols) civs. What are your favorites? Have you had much success with ones that have financial or cultural traits as their strengths?

Aggressive Civs, huh?  Figures you'd like them because earlier in the thread you talked about how you've enjoyed the ranking bonuses for the units and aggressive Civs tend to get more of those bonuses and sooner.  

I've got a suggestion, try out Huyana Capac of the Incan Empire (Aggressive, Financial).  His UU (unique unit) replaces the standard "Warrior" and has advantages against "Archers".  You can make a real nuisance of yourself in the ancient age.  If you play on a smallish planet and manage to conquer everyone before 1000 A.D., you'll probably achieve one of the highest scores you'll ever get.

What are your favorites? Have you had much success with ones that have financial or cultural traits as their strengths?

For a nice long cultural or scientific victory I like Ghandi of India (Industrious, Spiritual), good special structures and no revolutions so I can make the most of my civics; plus the UU (Fast Worker) probably has the most versatility of any UU.  I also like Catherine the Great of Russia (Financial, Cultural), money and borders, along with an Industrial Age UU that just rocks in Cossacks.  As you can see Financial is extremely useful in that it increases your flow of money decreasing the penalty for building lots of cities.  Cultural is useful if you're warlike and expansionistic, wide open spaces to keep others from building to closely not to mention extra culture benefits in the early-mid game.  I think the one trait that I find the most useless is probably Expansive since the only cities that'll have health problems are ones built on Delta's.    

Still, I do agree with you, not even a well-balanced RTS has that "Just One More Turn" addictiveness of a well-developed turn-based empire-builder.

You guessed right in that the most fun with the aggressive ones is seeing how fast you can conquer the world.  Since I have only had it for 8 months now I haven't had a chance to play all the different combinations.  I started on the lowest setting (Settler) for a couple months just to get a hang of all the changes from the earlier versions.

Then I started playing a civ at the Chieftan level than playing the same civ at the next level (Warrior, I think) just to see the differences.  Still mostly with the aggressive leaders.  Just recently I have moved towards trying some of the other combinations of attributes but with limited playing time it will take months to get through all of them with what I consider decent success.

Another question...do you only keep one game going or do you have multiple civs saved at the same time?  I have found that some people will play only one civ until they complete it.  Others, like me, might have 3-4 different civs going at different stages.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:49:51 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
You guessed right in that the most fun with the aggressive ones is seeing how fast you can conquer the world. Since I have only had it for 8 months now I haven't had a chance to play all the different combinations. I started on the lowest setting (Settler) for a couple months just to get a hang of all the changes from the earlier versions.

Then I started playing a civ at the Chieftan level than playing the same civ at the next level (Warrior, I think) just to see the differences. Still mostly with the aggressive leaders. Just recently I have moved towards trying some of the other combinations of attributes but with limited playing time it will take months to get through all of them with what I consider decent success.

Actually that's a pretty good way of doing things.  I think its not until you get to Noble (or maybe Warlord) where you and the computer are exactly at the same pace.  If you ever get to play Deity- the last level.  The computer starts the game with TWO settlers and TWO units and proceeds to build and research twice as fast as you do.  Nasty!

Another question...do you only keep one game going or do you have multiple civs saved at the same time? I have found that some people will play only one civ until they complete it. Others, like me, might have 3-4 different civs going at different stages.

I got I think 3 different saved games with 3 different civilizations and all different setting.  I haven't played the game for a while, the two I know for sure I've got going is Queen Elizabeth (Financial + Philosophical) and Catherine the Great (Financial + Cultural).  I think the other one is Tokugawa (Financial + Aggressive) but I may have given up on that one.  

My QE game is pretty much over, I'm at the point now where Redcoats are holding practically the entire planet under siege.

I'm extremely proud of my Catherine game.  That game is actually "Monarch" difficulty and I've had a really great start.  

If your interested there is actually a forum with tons of information, strategies, stats, and what not.  Here is the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:33:39 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
No younger folks here, obviously
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 11:09:49 PM »
Hey y'all!

My top 5 all time:

Quake 2 - the breakout first-person shooter game that popularized Internet multiplayer mode.
Starfox - my son and I played this together so much that I had to desist due to impending carpal tunnel syndrome.
Unreal Tournament (any edition) - non-stop shoot-'em-up action.
Counter-strike - more of the same.
Race Driver - amazingly realistic auto racing game.  Fast CPU & high-resolution graphics a must.

(Almost) unremitting over-the-top violence...the human race is doomed.

jn, I can't believe that you like Rampage - mindless destruction.  I just could never get into (literally) pointlessly wrecking
everything around you.  My son and his friends enjoyed it, though - hey, whatever floats your boat.

-RB
Shaq #1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:42:35 AM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »
Oh man, this is gonna be tough:
1) Civ 2
2) Alpha Centauri
3) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4) Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
5) Counter Strike

This list would probably change if asked tomorrow (although the top 3 would remain no matter what).  4 and 5 can be changed.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 12:16:21 PM »
I'm not much of a gamer but there were a few games that I played obsessively.

Age of Empires, I played for weeks against the computer until I could be it at the highest level but I was a lamb being led to the slaughter when I went against online players.  Some cheated but there were plenty who were just god-like in the game.

Mech Warrior II, amazing game and tons of fun to play against real people over a network.

Steele Talons, arcade game, I was the best, I could not be beat, never met a player who could beat me at this game.

Mortal Kobat - nuff said! LOL!

And some real oldies for the commodore 64 playaz:

Jump man
Castle Wolfenstein
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
Jack Thompson was disbarred

That's good news

Offline Welfare Fraud

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »
My top 5:
1. Football Pro '98 (PC) - I spent more time playing this game than any other. I still play it today from time to time, and there are still a coulpe of online leagues out there.

2. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) - Lots of cornball memories of playing this with my dad.

3. Ice Hockey (NES) - My team of 3 fat and 1 skinny dude is unstoppable. Try me.

4. Master of Magic (PC) - It's like early Civ games but with magic! Nerdgasm.

5. Out of the Park Baseball (PC) - Yeah I like sport text sims. Nerdgasm.

ps hi guys

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
My top 5:
1. Football Pro '98 (PC) - I spent more time playing this game than any other. I still play it today from time to time, and there are still a coulpe of online leagues out there.

2. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) - Lots of cornball memories of playing this with my dad.

3. Ice Hockey (NES) - My team of 3 fat and 1 skinny dude is unstoppable. Try me.

4. Master of Magic (PC) - It's like early Civ games but with magic! Nerdgasm.

5. Out of the Park Baseball (PC) - Yeah I like sport text sims. Nerdgasm.

ps hi guys

Mike Tyson's Punch Out.....ahhhhh the memories....

Welcome to the board.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »
ET

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
Welfare Fraud,

Welcome to the board and right on with Mike Tyson Punch-Out . . . heck yeah!!  Classic!

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »
Is it just me or has playing games gotten really frustrating.   

New all-purpose guitar hero guitar won't work right, so I break out the brand my new X52 joystick/throttle for some MechWarrior 4 action, nope calibration isn't right and when I fix that, the programming software won't work.  Then I say screw it and get Spore, a game I wanted to get into.  Eagerly break the seal and insert the disc.  Sorry, XP and Vista are the only systems it'll work under, Windows 2000 server.  So I install it on my wife's machine upstairs that has XP, installs fine, everything is working, I'm all giddy, I launch the game. POP-UP ERROR!

"System does not meet minimum specifications for game . . . LOSER!!!"

that's what it read, I swear. ::)

Oh and my car is in the shop and my scooter isn't working.  I've had a REALLY crappy week come to think about it.   

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
Not sure if anyone is interested but I have ROMS of all the old NES games, SNES games, and N64 games that I would be more than happy enough to upload or setup an FTP for any of you to download.

Since I can't exactly take my PS3 on the road (nor would I want to in fear of those "awesome" Southwest baggage handlers) I've loaded up my work laptop with all the NES games.  Found a hack to make my PS3 controller work when plugged in USB to my laptop and I go nuts when I get bored in the hotel.  Spent hours last night playing Contra, Mario 2, Punch Out, Blades Of Steal, and other games I grew up on.  I believe there is also a way to get the XBOX controller to work too for you XBOX owners.

Let me know.....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:39:39 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com