Author Topic: Best Video Game Ever  (Read 15647 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
The thread about the online game gave me an idea. I'd really like to know which games are, in your minds, the best you've ever played. I've played quite a few games, but not all of them. I'd say I've probably played one out of twenty games released on PC and PS2. So I'm no expert by any means, but I have payed a few.

Here's my top five:

1. Deus Ex
No other game comes remotely close in my opinion. By far the best-developed plot ever. Interaction with the world is unbelievable. And player modification options are unparalleled. I could go on an on about how I discovered something new in the game the first seven times I played it. Not enough space here, and besides, I don't want to appear to be too geeked about a computer game. Put succinctly . . . Best. Game. Ever.

2. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Was just a FPS with no freaky weapons, but it's realism and connection with a historical event that is of great interest to me made it irreplaceable. Many people tell me that I would enjoy Battlefield 1942 much more, but I have not yet played it, mainly because I can't stand shooters on PS2, and my PC just can't handle this game.

3. Red Faction
In reality, this shooter is pedestrian in graphics and story line. The geomod feature is cool. The multiplayer function is the reason I like this game. The geomod offers some interesting opportunities in the MP game. Even though it's six years old, it is still my favorite MP option, even over the Unreal series. I probably rate this one so highly because at my old job, where we played this for hours on end (because my ridiculous boss was addicted), I was a Red Faction GOD. I almost never lost. The rail driver is my weapon of choice.

4. Age of Empires II
Even though it's less flashy than other real-time strategy releases, my comfort level with this game, and it's flexibility in creating scenarios make this one of my favorites. I have probable spent more hours on this game than any other in my life.

5. Star Wars Battlefront Series
Best game I've played on PS2, and the only shooter type I've been able to enjoy. Haven't really experienced multiplayer, but my love of all things Star Wars, and the ability to use a number of cool vehicles make this one a definite favorite.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

guest-koast

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »
Age of Empires II is a GREAT game!  I use to play that game like no other.  Did you ever get a chance to test your skills against others online?  That takes the game to another level.  The strategy some of these players use is insane.

Some of my favorite games that are fairly newer?  Everyone has classics like Mike Tysons Punch Out, Mario, etc

Final Fantasy 7 for Playstation:  Great story line.  Can't say enough about the story, the characters, and how they went about developing both.  The graphics at the time were top notch, especially the movie cut scenes inbetween major plot points in the game.   Honestly I'd have to say this is the best game I've ever played on a console.

Counterstrike: Online multiplayer first person shooter.  You can be either terorrists or counter terrorists.  Many many levels to choose to play plus alot of custom levels made by fans of the game.  Typical shoot em up game except you either have to defuse a bomb before the time runs out (or protect it, depending on your side), rescue hostages, or just kill everyone on the other team.  We have dubbed this game 'crack' because you get hooked on it once you play.  Everyone I know at one point in time made fun of it then once they started playing got hooked.

Fifa Soccer 2006:  I made a thread about this game.  It is super fun even for people who do not enjoy soccer or follow it at all.  The game play is fun and is one of those games that you could always pop in to battle your good buddies for kudos and beer.

I am expecting Skand and X3 to add to this thread!

Guest_spursfan101

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:25:02 PM »
Super Mario Brothers.

Contra

Donkey Kong

Star Wars original. Space sim, where you blow up the death star! WAY ahead of its time.

I know these are old, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers
from Contra...

up, up, down, down, left, right, left,right, B,A, start! :nod:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:02:08 PM »
I am expecting Skand and X3 to add to this thread!
X3 has already joined in, and most certainly Skand and others will.
You are motivating me to new heights.
Best...thread...ever.

guest-koast

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
Super Mario Brothers.

Contra

Donkey Kong

Star Wars original. Space sim, where you blow up the death star! WAY ahead of its time.

I know these are old, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers
from Contra...

up, up, down, down, left, right, left,right, B,A, start! :nod:
*awards 101 30 lives*

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
:bounce: I can't post on this thread fast enough!!!  Great idea, Ted!!

Alright, I'm going to do a Top 5 for both computer and console, because otherwise there is just too much that'll be left out.  They're in no particular order and I might sneak in some honorable mentions.  

Console

Super Mario World (SNES) -- I played this so often that it got to where I could go through the entire world, plus the star level in 4 hours.  This game was so good, I only ever bought 3 more games for the SNES console.  

Street Fighter II Turbo  (SNES) -- The game that is responsible for turning me into a fighting game addict.  I loved this game and have played various incarnations ever since.  

Marvel vs. Capcom (XBOX) -- I actually don't own the X-Box, my friend Steve does, and was first introduced to the game at the arcades.  With 40 some odd character to choose from, it never gets old.  Except for the fact that the X-Box controller sucks, this is the best 2-dimensional console fighting game in history.

Soul Caliber II (PS2) -- If you have never seen this game, I want you to go buy it for whatever console you have, select the player Ivy, give her the purple costume and come tell me its not the best piece of pixelated a$$ you've ever seen.  For one that used to ridicule and denigrate 3-dimensional fighting games and hated them with a passion, SC II made me a believer in the joy that could be had.  

Mariokart (Nin64) -- My last semester of college I had 3 roomates in a 4-person apartment suite.  We got home from dinner around 5:30 pm and fired up Mariokart for the next three hours EVERYDAY.  I swear it felt that I was truly capable of killing them in the heat of the moment.  YOU SPIKE SHELLED ME, YOU BASTARD!!!  

Honorable:  
Grand Turismo III (PS2)
Halo (XBOX)
X-Men: Legends (PS2)

PC

Star Control II -- This is an old PC game that used to run on 386s.  I wonder how many of you have ever heard of this game?  It was a 2-dimensional battle in space between various fighters that each had a unique gun and a unique special ability.  The multi-player fun could be had for hours.  The single player game was, at the time, the most immersive role-playing experience I've ever had.  Seriously for about a month and a half, no one saw me.

Starcraft -- I'm sure you all have heard of this game.  Considered the absolute pinnacle of real-time strategy games.  I thought Total Annihilation (game responsible for my first computer upgrade) and Warcraft II were awesome, until this game rendered both of those utterly unplayable.  Game fluidity and balance (amongst all three races) are still hailed as simply the best that it gets even though newer RTS games (like Warcraft III) have come out.  The Starcraft battle.net  network is just as active now as it was when the game came out 8 years ago and I believe "Starcraft Player" is an actual career path in South Korea.

Warcraft III  -- This game is responsible for my most recent computer upgrade.  Very similar to Starcraft, developed by the same people (Blizzard).  What it might lack in game balance, it more than makes up for in graphics, detail, storyline, and complexity.  When I first saw the rendering of the actual in-game graphics I thought it was playing a movie file.  IMO this has the best graphics of ANY game in history.  It is my current addiction, every couple of months it DRAGS me back.

Wing Commander: Armada -- I've got to throw props Joe's way for getting my into the whole Wing Commander gamut.  There are like 7 of those games I've played regularly.  Wing Commander with its movie-like storyline and un-paralleled flight combat simulation was great to play.  For my money, Armada had the best graphics engine of the entire lot (except Wing 5: Prophecy released years later).  I also greatly enjoyed the campaign format of the game and, of course, the gauntlet.  

Masters of Orion II -- I said that none of these games were in particular order, but if someone made me choose my favorite game of all time, PC, console, everything.  This is it!  I've never played the first and I made the mistake of purchasing the third (a travesty of epic proportions).  This is the best Turn-Based, 4-point, Empire-builder ever!  Here is a clue of the level of detail:
Building ships --
1)Choose chassis
2)choose representative icon (6-10 choices per chassis PER RACE)
3)choose beam weapons (12 options plus modifications), missiles (6 options plus modifications), select firing arc
4) choose special ship equipment (30 options) that range from troop transports to battle pods to Inertial Nullifiers
5) Name your ship anything you want!!  
That is just one segment of one aspect of this game.  The exploration, colonization, diplomacy, and choice of Races (or you can customize your own Race!!) is simply second to none.  Oh yeah and I really, really loved the music.  I don't even want to contemplate how many hours of my life have been spent on this game.

Honorable mentions:  

All the Civilization games (1-4)
Lords of the Realm II
Command + Conquer: Red Alert
Rome: Total War
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
Mech Warrior Vengeance
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:42:51 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

jn

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:53:02 PM »
Great topic Ted.

Off the top of my head.

Rampage:  I still play this from time to time after a bad day at work.  There's just something cathartic about turning into a giant ape and smashing a dozen cities into rubble.

Contra: Yep, I too remembered the code for extra lives.  :D

LOTR: Return of the King. Swarming Orcs, Giant Trolls, Nazgul.  It's all there for the Rings junkie.  The previous one, the Two Towers was entertaining as well.

NHL 2k6.  Every couple weeks I gather with some friends for barbecuing, hockey and serious trash talk.  I mean trash talk so over the top that I've never heard anything on a basketball court nearly as foul.  It's a fairly simple game which I like, as opposed to a lot of the current sports games.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:42 PM »
For computer games that can last for a while, here are my choices:

Wing Commander II - I've played a lot of Wing Commander games:  1, Secret Missions 1 and 2, Wing Commander II, Special Operations 1 and 2, Wing Commander Academy, Wing Commander Armada, Wing Commander III: The Heart Of The Tiger, Wing Commander IV:  The Price Of Freedom, Wing Commander V: Prophecy (Original and Gold), and I even gave Wing Commander: Privateer a little bit of a try.  But of all of them, there was none with the drawing-you-in story of Wing Commander II.  Plus, at the time, ships like the Broadsword with sets of guns on all four sides made things truly interesting.  No, the graphics weren't as good as those of III, IV, or V, and the characters weren't live-action actors, but it was Wing Commander at it's best.  Also - on Wing Commander 2, the keyboard controls were fantastic - you didn't really need a joystick to play.  My favorite ship:  The Broadsword.

Star Control II - This is another game I got Skander hooked on.  Part of what made this game fantastic was playing against a friend - both of you hovered over the one single keyboard trying to blast the other guy out of the cosmos.  Funny little races with crazy cultures and ships that truly had a flair of personality.  You could tailor-make your own fleet to go up against a friend.  Every ship had a ship that was tailor made to take it out, and every ship had ships it was perfect for killing.  (Just so it's said, if you're ever in combat with a friend, make sure you have a Thraddash, an Utwig, a Chmmr, and a Spathi.  After those four, it's at your discretion.  Use the Spathi on the Utwig, the Thraddash on the Chmmr, and the Chmmr on the Spathi - although that can sometimes get ugly.)  StarCon2 offered the best of the single player game, and the best balance for multiplayer.  StarCon3 then came out, and wrecked the series - turning a classical battle of good and evil into a tale of political correctness and "Can't we all just get along?", while re-telling all the best jokes from StarCon2 (and they're not as funny the second time around).  Worst of all, StarCon3's animated figures were *AWFUL*.  My favorite ship:  The Spathi.

Sim City - There's nothing like building something you might actually be able to envision.  A city, with elements placed to your liking?  Talk about cool.  Oh, there are problems here and there with the original - like restricting buildings to a general commercial, residential, or industrial - but it's a great game for starting out.  I've not tried later versions, but the original was a true classic.

Lords Of The Realm II - This game is Braveheart battles on computer and I have to give Skander props for introducing me to this game.  I like the sheer simplicity of the game.  While Skander wants lots of customization and lots of options and lots of complexity, I like being able to sit down at a game and understand its nuances quickly - which is why I've never gotten into Starcraft, WarCraft, Total Annihilation, etc.  Also, I like being a ruthless dictator that sacrifices mercenaries so that you don't have to keep paying them.

Civilization - This is another series I introduced Skander to.  I've played the original to death, and I started a game of Civ 2 one time over at Skander's, but I've never even opened up Civ 3, even though I've got it.  Again - a simple game, easy to understand, easy to get going quickly.  My favorite unit:  my "diplomatic" catapult corps.

Other classic favorites:
Star Trek:  Birth Of The Federation (if I'm playing any game, this is probably it)
Populous
The Sims
Need For Speed:  Hot Pursuit
Microsoft Flight Simulator
The Incredible Machine
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter  (I serve the glorious vision of Emperor Palpatine!)

And then, there are the "short" games - games that it takes less than an hour to play - some of my favorites are:

Welltris (Tetris played from all four directions)
Lemmings
Sherlock
Diplomacy (the original isn't a challenge, but the new version CRAWLS)
Tank Wars (a precursor to Scorched Earth)

And then, there's the arcade:

Tournament Cyberball - I actually have an original Cyberball machine in my house.  I played Cyberball for hours when I was younger.  Loved the game because there was an element of competition to it, but not tons upon tons upon tons of special key combinations to memorize and master.

Pigskin - if you've got Mame on your PC, grab a copy of this one.  Football - played by cavemen - with some carrying concealed weapons.

Defender - a true classic.  I was never really any good at the game, but I loved it.

Tempest - there's something about me and unusual controls.  I truly enjoyed this old classic.

Battle Zone - old stick vector graphics.  I can't really say why I like this one so much, but it's a great favorite.

You'd also find me playing:

Mystic Marathon
Venture
Crystal Castles (affectionately renamed "Run, Bear, Run!")
Donkey Kong
Galaga
Space Invaders

And finally, I have to bring up one of my personal favorite games, just based on the entire experience of playing:

Virtual World's BattleTech

You get into a POD, where you command a mech in battle with up to seven friends.  The level of experience is customizable in the pre-game - are you new to the game, or have you played many times before.  The various mechs are different, so you can surely find one to your style (I like an Atlas - big, heavy armor, good guns, slower than molasses).  Blast your friends!  Tower triumphantly over their burning corpses...er...mechs!

This is essentially the MechWarrior game with a "big" feel to it, because when you climb into the pod, all you see are controls and visual and radar screens.  That feel is what really sells the game.

It used to be at some of the Dave and Busters places, but they pulled it out.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »
Holy crap I forgot about Pigskin!!!!  Good mention Joe.  I remember that and Arch Rivals were my two favorite games to play at the arcade when I was younger.  Both of course along the same lines, rock em sock em sports.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:45:17 AM »
Wait, no one has mentioned Tecmo Bowl on Nintnedo 64?  Sure it was primitive but it had the GOAT of video game characters, Bo Jackson.  You could run Bo to he back of your own endzone and then have him run back through the entire defense for a touchdown.    :cheers:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
Pong for the old Atari system is still a classic in my mind (yes, I know simple mind, blah, blah, blah...).  Damn little ball could be so frustrating...especially after a few beers.

As far as computer games....

The Civ series is my favorite.  I got Civ IV for Christmas last year (was still playing I & II) and it makes the first 2 seem like they were made for adolescents.  One major addition is the promotion of your units upon gaining experience points...and the fact that there are usually 3-4 different types of promotion at each level.  Nice crossover addition from D&D games.

Warcraft was enjoyable but had at same time as Civ and Civ won out.

Age of Empires...nice game but still found myself drawn back to Civ.

Also have had a couple D&D licensed games, one based on Dune, and a few others.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:40:39 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 06:16:08 PM »
Pong for the old Atari system is still a classic in my mind (yes, I know simple mind, blah, blah, blah...).  Damn little ball could be so frustrating...especially after a few beers.

As far as computer games....

The Civ series is my favorite.  I got Civ IV for Christmas last year (was still playing I & II) and it makes the first 2 seem like they were made for adolescents.  One major addition is the promotion of your units upon gaining experience points...and the fact that there are usually 3-4 different types of promotion at each level.  Nice crossover addition from D&D games.

Warcraft was enjoyable but had at same time as Civ and Civ won out.

Age of Empires...nice game but still found myself drawn back to Civ.

Also have had a couple D&D licensed games, one based on Dune, and a few others.
Fixed:

Pong for the old Atari system is still a classic in my mind because I am a simple minded Spurs fan I need to keep it simple.  Like Pop's offensive schemes!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »
The Civ series is my favorite. I got Civ IV for Christmas last year (was still playing I & II) and it makes the first 2 seem like they were made for adolescents. One major addition is the promotion of your units upon gaining experience points...and the fact that there are usually 3-4 different types of promotion at each level. Nice crossover addition from D&D games.

Yeah Lurker, Civ 4 has been just ridiculously awesome.  I was on it hardcore for about two months earlier this year.  I'm a huge fan of all the three previous civilization games but this fourth one really has blown all of them out of the water.  How about the introduction of historical people and religion?  When your talking turn-based empire builder, few people do it as good ole' Sid Meier.  Which civilization (and leader) do you like to play, Lurker?

You also said that you had Warcraft but it lost out to Civ.  Which one of the Warcrafts if I may ask?  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

sf101

Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »
Nobody mentioned 10 yard fight either!  I got to the PRO's!   ONCE.  What about TRON, that game should get some props too.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Video Game Ever
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
I don't know about best games ever but i do like the following.

God of War - by far the BEST game I have played in a LONG time for PS2!!

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - is also good for xbox360 - it's got over 500 hours of game play, the damn thing is addicting.

Far Cry for 360 is also pretty cool.

Psychonauts was a fun game for PS2

Pretty much ANY mario game is good.

yeah...that's all I could think of for right now.

101 won't say it, but he was the Dance Dance fever champ city wide here in SA.
All those years of acting out "flashdance" really payed off didn't they 101... B)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:54:54 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.