Author Topic: Alamodome NFL  (Read 2078 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« on: October 03, 2005, 01:18:47 PM »
Man, you would have thought this was a playof game, the place was rocking!  I have never heard that place THAT loud before, it was great, the crowd made the bills take a delay of game because we were so loud.  Thought it was reallt great the way we cheered for the saints, you would have thought they were our team, fans really supported these guys.  great game overall, sat with a large group of bills fans that flew in to watch the game, they were not happy to be losing, but they enjoyed thier stay here in SA and the game great environment they were in.  tailgaters outside were all over the freaking place, it was like one large refugee camp of pick up trucks, bar-b-que pits and beer - just like heaven lol j/k.  

but it was great.  cant wait until 16 oct for the falcons game.  it was a blast just being there.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »
Interesting tid bit of info about the NFL not wanting SA to look good.  ticket sales in Baton rouge are apperantly selling cheaper  than in SA, highest ticket in BR is 89.00 lowest is 15.00. ??!    

SA, still came out looking good in the game IMO.  only about 6000 seats left open, not too bad though.  the place was rocking and the fans were into it.  Benson was impressed as was his granddaugter and heir to ownership.  I know we can support a team here, it will take a while before sell out crowds start packing the dome though, we have a lot of cowboys fans here so it would take a while for them to get on the band wagon of any team that moved here.  interesting stats though for market share this past weekend in television households.  dallas did 20% market share, saints did 14% market share, texans did 7% - not bad.  but i think you can see WHO would be the owner to block any chances of us landing a team here - Jerry Jones.  if people want a team here, they really need to stop supportuing the cowboys.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »
interesting note for Rick.  Rick what is your take on this.  There is word that the NFL is possibly going to make and nba market share type of deal that would spread all income across the board.  Suite sales would not be the teams own revenue now, it would be spread throughout the league...if this happenned, moving a team to LA would not sem so pleasing from a business stand point - the league couls focus on where they could put teams with actuall fan support rather than focus so much on media market - although that would still be important of course it would mean SA would be a prime candidate for ANY team to move to.  ineteresting to se how that pans out.  second thing, the saints have a 90 day window to buy out of thier superdome lease, so then it's move to LA os SA, and the word is Benson is not keen on LA at all.  I still dont get the feeling that he will move here, but this is going to make things pretty interesting.  

they have only sold a little over 20k tickets for the first game in baton rouge - mind you the tickets are DIRT CHEAP there, tagliabue wants to have ALL of next season there for public relations sake. but come on, this team was barely scrubing by as it was in N.O. and they want a whole season in Baton Rouge??  I think SA is making a great showing so far for there future chanes of a team, whether it be NO or any other cities team.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 11:40:53 AM »
did you roast tacos in the parking lot?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
did you roast tacos in the parking lot?
ok, for starters reality, you dont "ROAST" taco's....i should slap you for even saying that.  lol

no, i didnt tailgateb myself, there was a bunch of peeps out there doing that sharing thier stuff.  

rickortreat

Alamodome NFL
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 12:44:48 PM »
That bit about revenue sharing from the luxury boxes surprises me.  It does even the playing field a little bit IF it goes through, but I very much doubt the well-heeled owners would be willing to allow that to happen.  Jeffry Lurie didn't build that stadium to share the luxury box revenue with anyone else!

In either case, the big money for the NFL comes from television, not the paying fans.  The NFL is under major pressure from the networks to put a team in LA.  This is the second largest TV market in the country, and the LA fans don't care about other teams. Owners don't want to go there, pay to build a stadium or do any of the grassroots building to establish a franchise there.

If I was an NFL owner of a team like the Saints, I would want to move to San Antonio over most areas.  I'd rather be there than in Nashville or Jacksonville!  There are probably a few other NFL cities that don't look as good compared with SA.  If Taglibue really wants a team in LA, he's going to need to provide financial incentives, that the owners will balk at.  It's not a good business decision to go to LA for a team, just for the league.

I wouldn't worry about all the Cowboy fans.  SA is too damn far away from Dallas, it's just that there hasn't been any other team for them to root for, with all of Houston's problems.

You put a team in SA and the fans will start to forget about the Cowboys, expecially if that team starts winning.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Alamodome NFL
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:07:01 AM »
S.A. leaders to march onward after Saints leave
City proving it's ready for prime time in NFL

By W. Scott Bailey
San Antonio Business Journal
Updated: 8:00 p.m. ET Oct. 9, 2005
New Orleans Saints players raised their hands into the air and nearly 60,000 screaming fans turned San Antonio's first regular season dance with the NFL into a smash hit.

Now some local leaders are vowing to turn that momentum into a legitimate push for a permanent NFL team for the nation's eighth largest city.

Saints owner Tom Benson says he was moved by the home-field advantage South Texas fans provided his displaced team.

San Antonio Mayor Phil Hardberger walked the Alamodome parking lots and high-fived fans enjoying some rare Alamo City tailgating.

"This is as good as it gets," he yelled over the music and cheering.

Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks rushed for the winning touchdown in his team's 19-7 victory over the Buffalo Bills. His post-game comments to reporters included this assessment of the environment inside the Alamodome: "From the time we stepped out of the locker room going out there to warm up, they really were into it."

What San Antonians and South Texans and some relocated Louisianans, too, were into was the historic moment -- for San Antonio and the NFL.

That history-making event was not lost on other long-time NFL cities like Boston, where that city's daily included this post-game excerpt: "Brooks saw an opening and bolted. Crossing the goal line just ahead of a defender, he spiked the ball and raised his arms to celebrate.

"That's when he heard it: The deafening roar ... . And for one afternoon at least, San Antonio and the Alamodome felt like home for Brooks and his nomadic teammates."

SBC Communications Inc. Senior Vice President John Montford is relatively new to San Antonio, having lived here only a few years. But he is sold on the Alamo City as an NFL-worthy market. Montford, who is also chairman of the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, believes San Antonio deserves many more such Sundays. He also believes this time, city leaders will do more than talk about how San Antonio should have its own NFL team.

"You have to judge a city for what it is," Montford says. "And this is a great city."

Montford adds, "Any time you step up and you undertake an ambition of this nature, you're going to have setbacks, you're going to have roadblocks, you're going to have naysayers. But I'm not easily discouraged."

Saints and Angels
While San Antonio is working to parlay strong attendance for a trio of Saints games into a more permanent place in the ranks of the NFL, others are pushing a counter agenda.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has been less than enthusiastic about San Antonio and its temporary hosting of the Saints. Instead, he has attended a regular season game that was moved to Mexico City and continued to stump for a team in Los Angeles, which can tout its corporate base and TV market size.

"It's not all about just whether or not you've got the corporate base or the financial base to support a team," says San Antonio City Councilman Kevin Wolff. "You also need to have a fan base. I think we're at a point in San Antonio where, we already know we have the fan base. I think we have the corporate base now, too.

"You have to have both to make it work," Wolff continues. "That's something I think the NFL is forgetting about. They are so focused on the TV market (size) that they have forgotten that you actually need to have fans who will show up for the games and give a damn about the team."

Game plan?

So will the current crop of city leaders chase after this latest NFL effort with something more than the kind of lip service displayed by some of their predecessors? Wolff is convinced that the city is prepared to walk the talk this time.

"We've got a wonderful opportunity with these three games to knock one out of the park and prove to people we can do this," Wolff contends.

Wolff says the quest to put a team here is more a question of when than if.

"We're going to stay on top of this. We're going to get a team here," he says. "I don't know if that's today, tomorrow or three years from now. But it is going to happen because we are big enough, we can support it and we will prove it."

As for Tagliabue and his L.A. agenda?

"If he has convinced himself that Los Angeles is the place to be," Wolff says, "then every action he takes, everything he says, is going to be pointed in that direction.

"That's why we as a community need to take the approach of 'to hell with him,'" Wolff continues. "We're going to do what we know we can do and let the actions speak for themselves. Then you are eventually going to start to hear that San Antonio is a great place (for the NFL) to be."

Former Mayor Henry Cisneros has been careful not to confuse his NFL ambitions with the plight of the Saints. Still, Cisneros remains convinced that the Alamo City deserves its own team.

"This may not be the time to talk about that next step," Cisneros contends. "But there needs to be a next step at some point. I believe there will be."

Montford agrees.

"We should support the Saints," Montford says. "But what we really have to do is demonstrate that we are an NFL-ready city."

"There are a lot of people who don't think we have the resources,' Hardberger says. "I think we do."