Author Topic: America getting screwed by Bush AGAIN!  (Read 1825 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
America getting screwed by Bush AGAIN!
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »
I can't beleive America is going to bend over and get f'd in the arse by the Bush administration again.  I've never seen such a blatent example of a "bought" president.  Congrats to all the morons who voted for this criminal!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/21/ene...l.ap/index.html

House OKs oil drilling in Alaska refuge
Final vote on energy bill expected Thursday
Thursday, April 21, 2005 Posted: 12:53 AM EDT (0453 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House voted late Wednesday to allow oil drilling in an Alaska wildlife refuge as part of a broad energy bill that Democrats said would funnel billions of dollars to highly profitable energy companies while doing little to promote conservation or ease gasoline prices.

The bill's sponsors said oil from Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, as much as a million barrels a day, will be needed to help curtail the country's growing dependence on oil imports. Opponents argued the oil wouldn't be available for a decade and even then at levels that would not significantly affect oil prices or imports.

The bill calls for $8.1 billion in tax breaks over 10 years, most of it going to promote coal, nuclear, oil and natural gas energy industries.

Development of the Alaska refuge has been a contentious issue for nearly a decade. Environmentalists fear a spider web of drilling platforms and pipelines would harm the area's polar bears, caribou, migrating birds and other wildlife.

Senate Democrats have pledged to filibuster any energy bill that would open the refuge to oil companies. An amendment to strip the Alaska refuge provision from the energy bill failed Wednesday night 231-200.

A final vote on the energy legislation is expected by the House on Thursday.

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Massachusetts, who offered the ANWR amendment, noted that the bill does nothing to improve the fuel economy of automobiles, which he said use 70 percent of the country's oil, and that it was wrong "to then turn to the wilderness areas and say we need energy."

An attempt to require automakers to increase fuel economy to a fleet average of 33 miles per gallon over the next decade was defeated 254-177.

Rep. Sherwood Boehlert, R-New York, a co-sponsor of the auto fuel economy proposal, said it would have reduced oil use by 2 million barrels a day -- more than could be taken from ANWR -- by 2020. He described as "a bunch of nonsense" claims by opponents that the increased fuel economy would cost the auto industry jobs, force consumers to buy smaller cars and reduce automobile safety.

"We don't need to micromanage our auto manufacturers," countered Rep. Fred Upton, R-Michigan.

Rep. Richard Pombo, R-California, acknowledged that ANWR was "a very unique place" that deserves protection but argued that its oil can be developed using modern drilling techniques without harming the environment and wildlife.

"We don't have to choose between providing the energy resources ... and protecting our environment," he said.

Bush wants energy bill by summer
President Bush on Wednesday urged Congress to give him an energy bill by summer, including a go-ahead for oil exploration in the Alaska refuge. He said the oil can be recovered "with almost no impact on land and local wildlife" and ANWR's production would amount to nearly half the oil the U.S. now gets from Venezuela.

Speaking to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Bush said swift action on energy by Congress -- where a succession of energy bills have languished for four years -- would "send an important signal" that the country "is serious about solving America's energy problems."

Bush said he wished he "could wave a magic wand and lower gas prices tomorrow" but said the nation's energy problems took years to develop and are "not going to be solved overnight."

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California accused Bush of trying to exploit people's anxiety over high gas prices to gain support for a bill that she said "was written by energy lobbyists for the benefit of the energy industry." She said it would neither lower energy prices nor curtail America's growing reliance on oil imports.

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, the legislation's floor leader, called the bill balanced and said if it becomes law it will provide for a more diversified array of domestic energy sources from coal, oil and gas to nuclear and renewable such energy from biomass, ethanol and wind.

"Midterm and long term, if the bill becomes law, we'll see prices stabilized," Barton said at a news conference with Majority Leader Tom DeLay, also of Texas, who accused Democrats of being "obstructionists."

"There are those that do not want a solution, they just want the bill to fail," DeLay said.

The House bill also would make it easier to build liquefied natural gas import terminals, even if states or local communities oppose the project, and require refiners to use more corn-based ethanol in gasoline.

It also would extend daylight-saving time by two months to reduce energy use and protect makers of the gasoline additive MTBE from product liability lawsuits stemming from the chemical's contamination of drinking water.

The bill gives MTBE makers "safe harbor" and will leave communities and water districts with billions of dollars in cleanup costs, said Rep. Lois Capps, D-California. It also provides $2 billion to help MTBE makers, including major oil companies and refiners, to shift away from MTBE production as the additive is phased out.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:04:26 AM »

The bill calls for $8.1 billion in tax breaks over 10 years, most of it going to promote coal, nuclear, oil and natural gas energy industries.

An attempt to require automakers to increase fuel economy to a fleet average of 33 miles per gallon over the next decade was defeated 254-177.

Just as huge, really much bigger then the Alaska drilling scam IMO is the other parts of the bill they slithered thru:

The House bill also would make it easier to build liquefied natural gas import terminals, even if states or local communities oppose the project, and require refiners to use more corn-based ethanol in gasoline.

>besides the LNG terminals that all the big slease oil companies want jammed, >esp in So Calif and Baja Mx, the ethanol is nothing more then big time lobbying by a sleasball who owns all the corn to ethanol equipment.  Dude is ripping off billions by jamming this thru.

It also would extend daylight-saving time by two months to reduce energy use and protect makers of the gasoline additive MTBE from product liability lawsuits stemming from the chemical's contamination of drinking water.

The bill gives MTBE makers "safe harbor" and will leave communities and water districts with billions of dollars in cleanup costs, said Rep. Lois Capps, D-California. It also provides $2 billion to help MTBE makers, including major oil companies and refiners, to shift away from MTBE production as the additive is phased out.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »
Wow.  Just wow.  What more can I say?

If we want to curb gas prices for ourselves then we need to produce and purchase more efficent cars.  One of our company cars that I frequently drive on business trips is one of those cars, a Toyota Prius.  I went from Riverside County (just past Orange County for those of you outside of California) and drove all the way up to Tulare which is just an hour or so short of Fresno in Central California.  One tank of gas to drive over 500 miles.  I kid you not.  To top it off you dont give up the power you need to accelerate and it drives fine thru hills.  I was doing 75 on the grapevine like nothing.  I would have got even better gas mileage for the trip if I wasnt in such a rush to get back to Orange County before rush hour.

Americans are the worst, seriously.  Why do you need to drive a Hummer in LA?  Is it in case you take the 210 E and accidently end up in the middle of Afganistan and need the power of a tank to off road in dunes?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 10:26:03 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »
Reality,

You touched on EXACTLY the points that really pissed me off.  I wasn't as upset with the crime of opening up Alaska to oil fat cats, but the absolute SLEEZE that was passed along with the bill.

This just proves there is very little intelligence in the US general public.  Bunch of STUPID sheep who voted for a criminal.  If there really was a god he/she would strike down these murderers and greedy theives before they ruin this planet.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 04:19:46 PM »
Oh yes, true scumbag criminals of the worst kind, dishonest, selfsurving decietful weasels.

As far as God goes, he believes in free will, if the people are stupid enough to vote for these leaders, they get what they deserve.  We are very much in the minority, I'm afraid.

Why do you think guys like Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein and the like get into power?  People are stupid for the most part and their leaders are practiced at exploiting those weaknesses.