Author Topic: Is this really the best that the Magic can get for Howard?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this really the best that the Magic can get for Howard?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
"In the proposed deal, Howard, Jason Richardson and Earl Clark would be sent to Brooklyn, and the Magic would receive the Nets? Brook Lopez, Damion James, Sheldon Williams, Cleveland?s Luke Walton and three future first-round picks, sources said. Cleveland would receive Orlando?s Quentin Richardson, Brooklyn?s Sundiata Gaines, Kris Humphries (on a one-year guaranteed deal), a first-round pick and $3 million from the Nets. Brooklyn also would send (MarShon) Brooks to a fourth team to get them an additional first-round pick to send to the Magic."

Brook Lopez is okay but he isn't even a star in our league for a superstar.  When you look at who else they get, they are pretty much fillers which means they are trading Howard for Brook Lopez and 3 number 1 picks.  I know you never get fair value for a superstar but is this the best they can get?  Howard, along with JWill, Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson almost guarantee to move deep into the playoffs (marking injuries, etc.) so the draft picks won't even lottery, IMO.  You have just been hired as the GM of the Orlando Magic - do you make this trade?  If not, make your own trade.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Is this really the best that the Magic can get for Howard?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Brook Lopez at the contract he'll get has negative value.

The 3 picks seem like they're all late first rounders, which has borderline negative value.

A once in a generation defensive center for negative value?  Congrats, Orlando.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this really the best that the Magic can get for Howard?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
I don't know. I think it depends on how healthy Lopez can stay. He showed good progress over his first three years. 2010-11 was a pretty good year, although his rebounding numbers are a little low.

Three first rounders isn't bad, although they'll probably be low picks coming from a potentially scary Nets team.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton